1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best VOLUME setting for Stereo Desktop Speakers?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Telstar, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telstar

Telstar Thread Starter

Hi,

Windows XP Home
    Dell DIM4400
    Insignia Amplified Stereo Speakers (2)
    w/ Subwoofer

What I want to know is, at what setting to PERMANENTLY leave
    the volume adjustment that is on the speakers.

I noticed I was cranking up the volume using the "little speaker" volume control in the System Tray, and then also noticed the volume setting/adjustment on the (right) speaker itself was only about half-way.

Question:
    Better to turn the volume setting on the speakers "ALL THE WAY UP" and leave it there?
    or, use up to the MAX setting on the computer audio volume and leave the speaker volume setting half-way or thereabouts?

Could cranking the volume to max on the speakers damage or shorten the life of the speakers?
    Or, are most speaker systems "built to take it"?

Thank you!! (y)

2. caraewilton

caraewilton

Not sure exactly but I have found that it works well if I have my computer volume set half way and then use the volume control on the actual speakers to increase or decrease the volume as required. I do this as I use a laptop and sometime my stereo speakers are not plugged in so don't really like full volume pumping out of my tiny laptop speakers. Would be interesting if someone has a definitive answer.

3. dannyn

dannyn

you always better off to have the amplifier at the lower setting and have the source at the higher setting; this will reduce amplifier distortion. Also if you have unclean power you will also notice that less.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice