1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to add SIMM memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aimee, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aimee

aimee Thread Starter

In prepartion for switching from dial-up to cable I need to increase my memory. I am embarrased to say I only have 32 mb of memory ( I'm limping along with this computer for a couple more months then I'll be on to new and better things) In the meantime, I need to have at least 64 mb of RAM. According to Belarc I have 4 slots available, only 2 slots are in use right now with 16 mb each. Does it matter if I replace the 2 - 16 mbs with 32 mb each or should I leave the 2 in there and just add an additonal 2 slots with 16mbs each? If there's no difference in perfomance I'd probably buy te 2 16's assuming they'd be less expensive than 2 - 32's

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It depends on the maximum amount of ram that your motherboard supports. Each slot cannot contain more than maximum ram divided by 4.

3. hw45

hw45

What motherboard model is it? Then we can find out more, but probably it is 72pin SIMM. And there I would replace by 2 sticks 32MB EDO 60ns. At that time there were motherboards where you could add L2 cache and more memory only made sense when you had 512kb L2 cache, otherwise it even slowed down the performance.

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Can we have some details about your machine/motherboard?
    What model number, type of memory needed, maximum, etc.

5. aimee

aimee Thread Starter

Hope this is the info you need...

Belarc reports the following:
    Main Circuit Board is Intel Corp AG430HX AA663075-406

Specification from my Sony VAIO PCV -100 manual says : L2 cache memory is 256 KB Pipeline Burst SRAM

Standard RAM - 32 MB EDO RAM, expandable to 128 MB

Need more info?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Nope, it would appear that you can use 32's in all 4 slots, or 16's......

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

8. aimee

aimee Thread Starter

Do these memory modules come in different lengths? I pulled some from another computer (COMPAQ) and thougth I'd try it in mine but when I opened up the CPU I found that the module was too long. So, short of reopening the CPU (which I guess I can do because I'll need to do it eventually) is there a way to know what size to get? Thanks for all your help.
    ~Amy

9. hw45

hw45

What you tried to put in are not SIMMs 72pin, those are DIMMs 168pin.
    See here .

10. EllisWB

EllisWB

Hello, aimee, yes most memory in use to day is "72 pin simms" or "168
    pin Dimms. The 72 pin is a little over 4" long and the 168 pin is a little
    over 5" long. The manual that came with your computer tell you about this. I went to the 18004memory.com web site and they seem to have it all and good prices. You may wont to tell the type of memory you are using now.

Good luck, Ellis

11. rugrat

rugrat

Aimee,

Just to add a point, Your ram is 72 pin simms. If you have 32 megs installed it is probably 2 strips of 16 meg each. The memory MUST be installed in pairs. This means that you can add 2 strips of 16 or 2 strips of 32 if you want to keep what is in it. Here is another link to compare prices for your board,

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...rds&mfr=Intel&cat=RAM&model=AG430HX&submit=Go

Just remember, you must buy 2 of whatever you choose.

SeeYa

12. aimee

aimee Thread Starter

Thank you one and all for your help with my most recent posting regarding adding memory. I've placed my order for 2 more SIMMs and am all set. Also appreciated the web sites listed in this thread, I used one of them - the company was very helpful. Again, thanks!

13. rugrat

rugrat

Let us know how it goes!!

SeeYa

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice