1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

best way to archive mp3

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by chris_j11, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris_j11

chris_j11 Thread Starter

1 cd = ~80mp3's

is there another software that can compress mp3 so that i can fit more mp3 on a single disc

i'm looking at atrac by sony
    sony claims to fit over 300 atrac songs in 1 cd
    can i convert mp3 to atrac to mp3 without losing the original quality of the mp3

or is there a better way to fit more mp3's in a cd

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Just burn the things to disk man.. Later on, you'll get a mp3 player, or your new stereo will support mp3's and you won't have to re-encode the things. Cd's are to cheap to change the format just to save a very little space.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can't compress MP3's, because they're already compressed. Just treat them as data and burn them to disks or DVD's.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

This is the deal. you have songs in mp3 format. In order to encode those songs to a different format, such as ogg or Atrac, you or your software would first have to decode the mp3 to uncompressed wave format. Then utilizing the uncompressed file (which still suffers degradation from being encoded into mp3), your encoding software would re-compress (causeing further degradation) the uncompressed file..

You would be suffering the degradation of compressing twice.

Therefore, if you do the ripping, by all means go Atrac. If you obtain a file in a different compressed format, leave it in that format. ;)

5. JohnWill

I suspect that Atrac is just another silly attempt to have a proprietary format, I hate it when manufacturers pull this crap! :(

6. Moby

Moby

What size are those mp3's? An average single averagely about 3 and something [email protected] 1mb per minute @128 bit compression get's you 200 (ish) mp3's to a cd.
    Windows media audio .wma files are slightly smaller as are mp3pro files, that just lowers the bit rate, sounds the same to me though. :)
    Nero will allow you to save mp3's at a lower bit rate/file size if you have it. It's a lot of hassle though if you have hundreds of mp3's.

7. JohnWill

There are programs that are "point-n-shoot" to convert as many files as you like to a different bit rate. I've never had the desire to make my sound quality less than I already have, so I don't use these applications. :)

8. Moby

Moby

I have to agree with the above. A smaller file size will invariably lead to less quality sound.
    80 mp3's to a cd is still a lot better than 20 to a normal audio cd.
    :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice