1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to back up an external share drive on a server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ditoboisy, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ditoboisy

ditoboisy Thread Starter

I am looking at buying an external hard drive that I can share on the network. I was planning on using Robocopy to back it up every night, but then I found that Robocopy won't copy files that are in use. Users will often times remote on at night or in the evening and use files and so the server won't back it up with Robocopy. I would use NTBackup, but I think that one only works with the C:drive or partitions on it's local hard drive.

I'm not sure which OS we will use, but I think we'll end up having a 2003 server I'll put it on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I tried some googling, but I was just finding options for personal hard drives for home use.

2. Hitori

Hitori

I use Cobian for backups but open files are not an issue for me.
    However as I understand it, Cobain can utilize VSS, Volume Shadow Services, to accomplish that. Check out their FAQ (just search for 'open file')

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice