1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to backup data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sheepdisease, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease Thread Starter

Hello, I want to move all of my data from three 500GB HDDs to two 750GB HDDs. Could someone please recommend a way I could create an exact copy of all of the data on this drive so that my windows installation will continue to work on the new drive rather than the old one? Okay, there may be issues with activation but that's not too much of a problem.

Thank you.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use and recommend acronis true image for cloning, image backups, etc. You can clone your existing system drive to a new drive. The procedure is pretty easy.

There are free apps that do this as well however they are not as easy to use. You can also use the drive maker's utility. Most of these have an option to copy disk.

3. Sheepdisease

Hello crjdriver, thank you very much for this information. Would the best way for me to do this be to connect my new drive into the eSata dock I have? Is there a preferred version that you use of the software?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The home ver will work fine for you. You can connect it to the esata however I would just install the drive internally since you are going to boot from it anyway.

To clone with acronis.
    1 Install new drive. Do not partition or format; just install like it comes out of the box.
    2 Boot with the acronis boot CD
    3 Select source [old] drive and destination [new drive]
    4 Complete the clone process
    5 Very important Do not reboot with both drives connected. Shutdown and either pull your old drive or just remove the pw connector.
    6 Now pw ON and enter the bios. Check that the new drive is listed as the boot drive. If not select it as such.
    7 Restart and check that the system boots, drive letters are OK, etc. If all is well, you can now reconnect your old drive if you want to use it as storage.

Note if you are going from ide to sata, make sure your sata controller is enabled and drivers loaded before you begin this task.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

6. Sheepdisease

Problem is that I want to create an identical copy of the drive that I am booting from at the moment and installing it internally would mean disconnecting my others drives to put this one in their place (but these also have data on them which I want to create an identical copy of).

Also, isn't there going to be some confusion with driver letters and if I want to put this one in in place of the original, I would surely need to put it in using the data cable which supplied data from the hard drive to the motherboard otherwise there will be all kinds of confusion when it comes to using installed programs etc?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There will be no problem with drive letters IF you follow the above instructions. That is why you never reboot with both drives connected.

If you do not have any open sata connectors, then you should use the esata however most boards have at least 4 sata.

As for the data drives, you can simply copy the data or you can image/restore the drive. It is up to you however for just work/data files, I would just copy the data.

8. Sheepdisease

Okay, thank you for clearing that up. I don't have an additional sata cable.

I'll see what I can do and get back to you.

9. Sheepdisease

I read that version 11 is problematic for those who use Windows Vista, what does everyone think?

10. Sheepdisease

Hello, it seems as though the copy I made of my Windows (C:) drive and My Documents (D:) drive has been cloned successfully (I'm using my external eSATA HDD dock with the 750GB Spinpoint HDD to boot up right now).

Few questions:

1. When I cloned the original HDD, I could partially edit how much disc space was allocated to each partition. However, when I shrunk the "My Documents (D:)" partition, I could not allocate the additional space to the C: drive. Could someone please explain how I would now merge additional unallocated space with the space allocated already by C:?

2. In POST, the report states that all drives are configured to RAID except the drive that is now running Windows, which is configured to IDE. What do I have to do to get this to work as a mirroring setup?

Appreciate your help in advance,

Thank you!

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to check the documentation for your sata controller. If it is an onboard, most will NOT allow a simple creating array and mirroring. I know promise raid cards have this option however not onboard type.

Note most of the time windows will not allow a change in controller type ie going from native ide to ahci/raid; it will blue screen. Again with a real raid card, this can be done however not with onboard.

As to allocating the space to C; if you use vista, you can simply do this task in disk management. If you are not using vista, then you need a third party app to reallocate partitions.

12. Sheepdisease

Thank you for your response.

I checked in Computer Management to see if I could merge the two but there was only an option to "Shrink" the C: drive, not to merge it with the unallocated space. I am using Vista.

13. Sheepdisease

It is a ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP AiLifestyle Series P35 Socket 775 Socket eSATA 8 channel Audio ATX Motherboard.

14. Sheepdisease

Just so you know:

Storage Interfaces Intel ICH9R : Serial ATA-300 - connector(s): 6 x 7pin Serial ATA - 6 Device(s) - RAID 0 / RAID 1
    JMicron JMB363 : ATA-133 - connector(s): 1 x 40pin IDC - 2 Device(s)
    JMicron JMB363 : Serial ATA-300 - connector(s): 2 x 7pin external SATA - RAID 0 / RAID 1 / JBOD

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is disk management; start>run> type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter.

As to the other questions, I highly doubt you can create an array without destroying data. You need to check the documentation however I have never seen an onboard controller with this option.

FWIW this is just one of the reasons I dislike onboard type raid. I always recommend that if someone really wants raid, buy a real raid card.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice