1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to backup data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sheepdisease, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease Thread Starter

No no no, you misunderstood me. From Computer Management it is possible to access Disk Management without using the command.

So what are my options?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post a screenshot of disk management.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do understand you have two separate raid controllers on that board correct? You have an intel raid AND a jmicron raid controller. FWIW the jmicron is problem prone at best. I advise people to just disable it in the bios.

4. Sheepdisease

Why are there two, how do I tell them apart in the BIOS and disable the jmicron raid controller but not the intel raid controller?

Atached is the image you requested:

[​IMG]

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You cannot expand C since it is right next to D and there is no unallocated space between the two partitions. The only thing you can do is expand D into the unallocated space. Now shrink D and expand C into the space left when you did the shrink on D.

Have you read your manual? Asus manuals are generally pretty good with how they explain bios settings, etc.

6. Sheepdisease

I would read the manual, but unfortunately I left it at home, and I live elsewhere during term-time. I don't know if there is an online PDF version?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Asus manual you must input your os and it will then show you downloads. Select manual>english

8. Sheepdisease

Hello, thank you for the link.

Are you the only active user on the forum?

9. Sheepdisease

Ah! Since I made a clone image of the original hard drive, I have been having problems with file associations and I can't even open a PDF.

10. Sheepdisease

Could you please take a look for me and see what it says and then report back to me?

11. Sheepdisease

Hello, I decided to start from scratch.

I have backed everything up. I managed to set up RAID 1 using two of the drives using the Intel RAID controller. I set up two partitions (Windows and Documents). I configured the Windows drive as a primary partition.

When I try to install Windows Vista Home Premium edition, it hangs after the computer restarts for the second phase of installation.

Could someone please suggest what I must do to resolve this problem? Also, should I configure my drives as RAID or AHCI?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well if you are running raid, there is no choice it must be raid and not ahci.

When you say you created two partitions, are you having vista setup do this or did you pre-configure the drive with a third party utility?

13. Sheepdisease

Hello, thank you for clarifying this.

I used the program you recommended to create the partitions.

14. Sheepdisease

I just flashed the BIOS with the latest version, then deleted the partitions created by Acronis. I then deleted the RAID 1 setup and recreated it. THen went through Windows Vista installation setup. Got to the part where you choose where you want to install Windows and picked the unformatted C: drive. This went well, then I got to phase two (Installing Windows) again, when it hung once more.

I just don't know what to do!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice