1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Best way to burn DBAN to a bootable CD

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by GreggIllinois, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreggIllinois

GreggIllinois Thread Starter

I have a friend who lives 300 miles away. I tried to talk him through over the phone upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then we tried a clean install. His computer is pretty messed up and we kept getting error messages. So now I would like to make a bootable USB stick with Windows 10 on it, and a CD with DBAN on it, so he can put the CD in and do the "autonuke" option with the DBAN CD, and then when that's done, he'll put the bootable USB in with Windows 10. I know how to make the bootable USB stick with Windows 10, but I'm not sure how to make the bootable CD disk with DBAN. Some people say Windows 8 and Windows 10 have built in burners that will make bootable CDs (see screenshot) instructions.png . (And I have acess to a Windows 8.1 and a Windows 10 computer with burning optical drives.) Others say I need to download software like "Free ISO Burner."

And since everything is going to have a big time lag (since I'll be mailing him the USB stick and the CD), can I test the USB stick (I won't go through with the installation but if it starts, it should work for my friend, too, right?) and the DBAN CD to make sure it will work when he gets it, as well?

Thanks.

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    So long as DBAN on a cd/dvd is burned as an image , not an iso file, you should be OK.

On my Win7 machine, I use an older version of Nero to burn iso files as an image to disc.

DBAN seems to have a reputation and a caution to use it carefully.
    Personally, I wouldn't be testing it on a good drive I didn't want erased.
    It's a powerful tool. Make a mistake and you'll be re-installing Windows. Worse, but seldom, I've heard the caution goes to bricking the hard drive.

I've only used it several times in 20 years of computing.

And it won't cure a defective hard drive.

GreggIllinois likes this.
  3. GreggIllinois

Thanks Johnny. I wonder if I'm doing the overkill thing with the DBAN. It's just everywhere you look everybody's touting DBAN when it comes to wiping hard drives. Do you think just formatting the "C" drive (he has Windows 7) would clean it well enough for the bootable USB drive to work? I could send him the bootable Windows 7 USB stick and the DBAN CD, and then if the formatting doesn't wipe it enough (to avoid the error we keep getting), then he could try the DBAN.

Thanks for the heads-up on not testing it on a drive I want to keep.

And thanks for the Nero.

Hmm. And thanks for the comment about it not curing a defective hard drive. That's something I hadn't even thought of.

Well, my friend is ready to buy a new computer, so we might as well take a shot at doing this stuff. If it doesn't work out, that will be okay.

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    On the Win10 clean installs I did, I didn't format the drives in advance.
    The Install media did it for me .
    The install on my used Win 7 drive asked for the C: partition to be deleted so it could be formatted GPT.

Here is the Microsoft way:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...stalling-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style

If you get this message:
    I used the method under the header:
    It looks difficult, but doing it was smooth and easy.

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    As for Nero, I like it, but the version I have wasn't free.

Stick with the recommended free versions, you probably won't have much need for all the options of Nero.

Actually, I don't burn much of anything any more.
    I removed the DVD writer in the Win 10/Puppy computer I'm posting from, to put something else in it's place lol.
    USB flash drives do all I need instead and with more storage than a DVD disk and cheaper in the long run.
    I don't think I've burned a disc in months lol!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  6. GreggIllinois

Thanks Johnny. Yeah, that does look complicated. I'm afraid my friend won't get it. (I'm afraid I won't get it.) Anyway, I'm having problems. I ran a test with the DBAN (it worked great) and then tried to install an OS but no luck. I'll do another post.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice