1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to control my HTPC w/ Win7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Guldan, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guldan

Guldan Thread Starter

I have my desktop with all my files on it and my HTPC connected to my TV across the room. I want to remote into my HTPC and be able to SEE what im doing on my TV like its a 2nd monitor, basically control it remotely so I can play movies..

Remote desktop in windows7 locks out the other screen :(... shoot me some ideas?

2. Guldan

Guldan Thread Starter

nevermind I figured it out anyways

3. mark069

mark069

What did you end up doing?

If your PC has TV-Out capability you can have one monitor connected to HDMI and the second through the VGA output (using a VGA to s-video adapter).

Alternatively, you can go through an external amplifier and use one of those outputs.

4. Guldan

Guldan Thread Starter

The desktop i'm typing from right now is in the back of my room, I can see my 42 inch TV from here clearly as it's a fairly small room. I put SYNERGY on both computers which shares my main desktops keyboard and mouse.

I made it so if I press ctrl-right it pops onto my HTPC, if I press ctrl-left it pops up on my main desktop. All my media files are on my main comp shared out so I can stream them anytime.

Works like a charm, only issue is controlling it from my couch, i'll have to get a remote if I want to pause/play/fwd on the fly.

My 2nd option was not even using an HTPC and just running a long cable to my TV, but I wanted that seperation and I built my HTPC out of mostly spare parts. I just bought the case+$35 video card ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/909939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice