1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to convert to Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jfriedlund, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfriedlund

jfriedlund Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Evo N800c laptop that currently has Windows XP Pro on it. I had terrible problems with IRQL not equal ....blue screen of death. After attempting many things I finally reinstalled Windows XP Pro from scratch, wiping my hard drive clean but the BSOD returns. I've updated all drivers, ran tests on the memory sticks and ran tests on internal temperature which all passed. I've decided the next step is get rid of XP Pro and convert to Vista.

My question is which is better (better in not getting the BSOD) an upgrade version to Vista or a clean install of Vista or does it make a difference?

2. chippynut

chippynut

Hi jfriedlund, Why are you set on installing vista and not windows7, I bought vista home premium two months ago just to see why so many people complained about it, and have not regretted it one bit with no trouble at all, I did a clean install as i had heard other people have had problems when using upgrade versions, I do know folk that have changed to vista and cannot get on with it, If you can afford w7 i would jump up to that.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Upgrades are prone to all kinds of problems that new installations are not. Trying to save your installation is like trying to replace a Honda engine with a Toyota one, and keep the "shell". It is not impossible, but you're better off with a new car.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice