1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to free up disk space? Some dumb questions...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Robbieboy, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Thread Starter

Hi folks,

Lately I have downloaded a fair few movies, TV shows, concerts etc and I have started to become mindful of the dwindling amount of space available on my hard drive. I hope someone can help me with what are probably some pretty dumb questions...

I am wondering what others more expert than me do in this regard to free up disk space... do you burn those clunky video files that are taking up space on your hard disk to DVD-R's, and delete those files from your computer? I have probably got a fair amount of stuff in the 'non-essential' category that would not devastate me to delete from my computer, as long as I first burned to disc.

This is probably an even dumber question: I do regular weekly back-up to a 1 TB external hard drive. Having backed up lots of my clunky video files to an external hard drive, if I then delete those files from my computer, does this also delete the same (backed-up) files from the external hard drive?

Apologies for my ignorance. I am just hoping an expert or experts here might be able to give me some tips for 'best practice' for freeing-up disk space. Thanks in advance for any help offered!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Running out of disk space means that you need to get more. You can put it off, try to recover space on the drive, copy things to DVD, and so on. But eventually, if you want to save things, you need to cough up the bucks.

Movies can be easily stored on DVD's. I usually store them in their original avi or mpg formats since I can get many of them on a DVD. External drives are really a good idea because not only do they give you storage space, but you can make periodic images of your internal drives. Then, when your drive fails, and it will, you don't lose everything, including your operating system. You jst get a new drive and restore everything from the image that you made.

Look on the external. Are your videos still there? that should answer your deletion question.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I agree with Evlandil but you may be able to free up a couple of Gigabytes just by running Disk Cleanup and removing some old Restore Points. I did this last night on my Vista Laptop. I had over 30GB's worth of restore points. After running Disk Cleanup and the Vista Sp1 Cleanup Tool I was able to free up those 30GB's.

We don't know how or what backup software you are using to backup your computer to that external drive so it would be hard to say whether the data would get deleted from the external if you delete from your computer.

4. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, Elvandil and Squashman. Sorry for not providing more info. The external hard drive I have is a Philips 1000 GB (which if my confused brain remembers correctly, equals 1 TB!). The model number is SDE5 170BC. It is a USB2.0 Interface (not that I know what that means). According to my computer my hard drive capacity is 465 GB, and I have 128 GB remaining (20%). Hope this is of some help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!