1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to get from laptop to TV

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by scs-04, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scs-04

scs-04 Thread Starter

I used to have an S-Video output on my old laptop that I could use to connect it to my TV to view pictures, youtube, etc... My new laptop does not have any video out besides VGA. What is the best way to get it to my TV now (non HD)? I have seen some USB adapters, is that the best way?

Thanks

2. toonbear

toonbear

scs-40 Does your TV have a SCART socket? as well as VGA sockets? you may get away with a SCART/VGA converter.The SCART device will have the 3 colour coded connections.Yellow/Red/White. Sometimes the SCART socket is INPUT ONLY and has 6 or 8 pins showing.Others are two way and have 24 pins.

3. buffoon

buffoon

Tell us what input sockets your TV has altogether, please.

4. buffoon

buffoon

doubt if there's SCART, one doesn't see many of those in the US. Yellow/Red/White is composite not SCART. If your TV has VGA than VGA to VGA is the best solution. Does it?

5. buffoon

buffoon

then, sorry

6. scs-04

scs-04 Thread Starter

Thanks for the repsonses, and sorry for the delay.

My laptop only has a VGA output.

My TV has S-video, Composite(RCA), and coax inputs.

Thanks again for any advice

7. toonbear

toonbear

scs-04 I don't know iif it will help but I found the following webpage which advertised VGA to Composite RCA cables
    www.cablesnmor.com/vga-rca-cable.html
    I the UK we can get compostie RCA to Scart VGA to Scart and VGA to Copmposite RCA cables , most TVs have a scart socket these days so it makes life easier.

8. buffoon

buffoon

be sure to get it from somewhere, where you can give it back if it doesn't work. There are a lot of "miracle" cables advertised out there
    which turn out to be unable to do the job.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice