1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to Lock Out a folder and files

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Space Cowboy, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Thread Starter

Looking for a way to lock down a folder and all it's files so it is inaccesable to anyone but me.

Should I be looking for encription software or Folder Locker software.

I want the best possble protection.

Thanks

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

3. Space Cowboy

Well you got me stumped again. I just want to make a few folders and their contents as secure as possible. But accessable when needed easily.

I think I need somthing simpler than the links you provided or you'll have to come over and show me what the heck I'm doing ;)

Thanks

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

PGP is probably the easier of the two to use, and that's going to give you the best security (meaning, good luck to the CIA if they want to crack your files.)

If you don't need that level of security, you could use WinZIP to compress your files and put a password on the archive. That will keep the casual viewer out, but anyone can get into it if they really want to.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

A very handy program I have been using is Paragon Encrypted Disk. It basically acts like a virtual drive in My Computer. You can encrypt the contents with a password or a separate encryption file. To see your files, you simply click to mount the drive in the manager app, insert your password, and the drive appears. Access your files and folders or even installed programs as you want, and then unmount the drive. All gone.

There are some other similar programs that I have not yet tried, but they seem to be poor competitiors to this one. The encrypted drive images can also be burned to CD and are still only accessible with the password and after mounting them as drives.

6. Space Cowboy

From what I understand nothing can be completely hidden. If someone wants it bad enough they will get it. I would just like something simple that is easy to enable and disable to lock out a few folders from most people.

Preferably Freeware.

Thanks

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

True to some extent, though it would take all the computers on Earth many years to crack some of the even middle-of-the-road encryption schemes. The Paragon disk is not just encrypted for access, but the files themselves have their content encrypted as well.

But for simple encryption tasks, many people use Cryptainer LE.

8. Space Cowboy

Is encryption and a program like "hide folders xp" doing the samething?

Thanks

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The only folder-hiding program I ever used, and I can't remember the name, ran as a service, using resources, and the files and folders were easily visible and accessible to Knoppix and other bootable file managers. The files were not encrypted at all.

With encryption, even if the files are accessible, their contents can't be seen without the encryption key.

There are also folder-hiding apps that will encrypt a folder into an image so that people see only the image and not the hidden file. The only reason anyone would suspect that a file was hidden would be the size of the image file.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/406888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice