1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to migrate from Domain to Workgroup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jambi1021, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jambi1021

jambi1021 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have 22 sites that will need to be moved out of their existing domain, and into a workgroup type network system.
    I know how to manually move each user over, but my question- is there any easier way of moving them, some sort
    of migration tool, or, even a way to have their local account stay on the computer when the domain goes down, and have
    them log into it instead.

Thanks,

jambi1021

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Is it not just a matter of Start>Run and typing dcpromo into the Open box, then following the Wizard inks to binning the Active Directory? Hang on for more confident advice - I only had to do this once but no files were lost through that procedure and it was then possible to join a Workgroup in the normal way.

3. jambi1021

jambi1021 Thread Starter

Killing Active Directory will also kill off their user accounts, I need them to be propagated down to the local machine. Any way to do this? I heard there was a tool on Server2003, which is what I'm running, but I don't know where it is.

Any help is appreciated.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I was certain it would but in the end it didn't - after I'd gone to the trouble of copying all the files out of the machine. I'm sure that Wizard offered the chance to retain everything at some stage but see what others have to say.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice