1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to monitor Roku data usage?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sej222.sj, Jun 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sej222.sj

sej222.sj Thread Starter

First Name:
    Sara
    After reading, this is best done by using specific routers that allow monitoring, I'm somewhat at a loss as my router is unfortunately rented through Mediacom (cable) and as far as I'm aware none of the routers they allow you to replace their rental ones with seem to have the requirements for measuring data usage. The alternative as best I can tell, would be network monitoring software on my computer? But some info I've read also said that wouldn't work for Roku TVs. I really need to monitor all usage but since I believe my two Roku TVs are the likely the culprit for hitting my ridiculously low data cap, I am hoping to at least monitor those. Most of the network monitoring software I've looked at online seems a bit complex for what I need and frankly not terribly user friendly to me. However, if someone could advise me which might be best, and walk me through the steps I'd be most appreciative.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hi Sara! Welcome to TSG!!

I can relate! The first month I had Rokus on all of our TVs, I ran into our 1TB cap! I have since instructed everyone to make sure they put the Roku back to the home screen when they are done watching. Even my 7 year old granddaughter complies.

That said, however, Our ISP (C0mcast) has an online usage meter that I had used for some time to monitor all usage (TV,PC, phones, tablets, X-Box, etc.) (Unfortunately that meter stopped working for me last month ...) My ASUS router does have traffic monitoring capabilities, though. I can see daily usage totals (not broken down by device) and work accordingly. If I need to impose restrictions on usage, I can set times when certain devices will have Internet access. For example, I disable Internet access to my grandson's X-Box from midnight to 8 am, otherwise he'd be on it all night!

I believe the network monitoring software you would install on a PC would only be able to see the traffic it is generating itself, not the data used by other devices on the network.

I'd check and see if your ISP has a usage meter, either online or an app you can install. I've found that my totals didn't always match what they say I've used, often showing higher than I do.

sej222.sj likes this.
  3. sej222.sj

sej222.sj Thread Starter

First Name:
    Sara
    Therein lies the problem. Yes Mediacom does have a usage monitor. But frankly I just don't like it. It gives notifications only to the main browser on my mother's computer, (who is living with me due to health issues,) but not to mine. Not to mention they do not break down or distinguish between any devices, so you only know how much data is used on a whole, not how much individual TVs are using or anything else for that matter. Much as I'd love to be rid of Mediacom, it's the only provider in our area so I am stuck with it. Ugh.

Thanks for responding though!

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    That seems to be the issue with any monitor. They do not break down to individual device's usage. Sorry. Good luck!

sej222.sj likes this.
  5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Is there a program that you installed onto your mother's computer for the modem ? Maybe that is why the stats only goes to her machine. Install the same program onto your computer and see what happens.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Strange... I would think like most ISPs you can go to their website and log in there to view your information.

What is your data cap? Does that also include uploads as well?

The biggest part of download data usage these days will be video streaming. To give you a general idea... streaming in HD Video you are looking at 3GB** per hour per device. So that would b be about **90GB a month... but don't forget, the data usage would include cell phones too (may be smaller due to the screen res/size), tablets, online gaming (consoles, etc).

Anything on the internet will use the data, it all depends on what you do. Things that could help is to download Standard Definition TV/Movies, check each app to see if they have a quality changer like NetFlix has one where you can lower the quality to lower the data used.

** estimate based on experience

7. sej222.sj

sej222.sj Thread Starter

First Name:
    Sara
    Sigh. Mediacom rates just keep climbing. I had a new plan they offered because we kept going over our cap. For awhile it was 999 GBs so just under 1 TB. The initial rate was doable but my last bill they raised the rate for that same plan beyond what I was willing to pay. My bill jumped from around $164 a month to $225 with no warning whatsoever. Mom is housebound due to heart problems (they are currently suggesting open heart surgery and thus far she will not budge on her decision not to have it,) so needless to say she watches a whole lot of Netflix. She is absolutely addicted to the more soapy series on there and frankly I simply cannot and am not willing to take that joy from her. Currently however I can't seem to find a reasonable rate for at least 999 GBs through Mediacom and so they dropped us back to their lower 400 GB plan which is going to be impossible given the amount of streaming she does. Personally I think Mediacom is a bit unhappy with us as I had a roommate for a couple months that paid for an upgraded plan but he decided to move due to frankly very crappy internet despite the upgrade as he worked from home as a customer service rep and needed fast, reliable internet otherwise he would lose his job. So we went from having a higher tiered package to needing a downgrade in a short period of time. When I called about getting the package back we had before he came, that was 999 GBs for around 160 a month, they said it was no longer available. And unfortunately that's just Mom's TV. I'm not even counting mine as I try my best to use cable though I'm not a fan, and let Mom have the majority of the data for her shows.
    I did set the rate for the apps like Netflix and Prime to SD and even went into the Roku secret menu settings and lowered the bit rate.
    I keep hoping there is some way to monitor a bit better as I'd love to know what each device is doing. It's rather annoying to me the Roku TVs have not made this a feature since they do set you up for a whole lot of streaming, seems it would be a standard feature. And no I'm not counting my phone nor Mom's or our tablets. I feel certain it's the TV's with all Mom's streaming most likely causing our problem.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    well... $225 for just internet? If that is the case, then that is outrageous. I pay that for phone/tv/internet.

As to the usage, it's not the roku devices, but the streaming services. I don't know if Roku could monitor the apps... though its not a bad idea. At this time, only the ISP would be the only way to check at this time. Again, you would need to check each app for quality/playback settings. Do you have any other services that your mum uses so we can check it?

Judging by estimates, you are looking at about 4 hours a day will put you under the 400GB plan but that would be for 1 user.

Here is Netflix, though I don't know if you can do it on the app, you may have to go via browser:
    upload_2019-6-3_14-7-27.png

sej222.sj likes this.
  9. sej222.sj

sej222.sj Thread Starter

First Name:
    Sara
    Thanks! Unfortunately I'd already done that for Netflix though I'm glad you reminded me to check again as I had it set up to play next episode automatically and unchecking it may cause a tiny bit less streaming when Mom falls asleep while watching. We do also have Prime and Hulu. Not sure just how much Mom is using those honestly. She's got Netflix down cold but finds the variations by comparison a bit tough to remember and navigate correctly. (Aging has been hell on her memory.) It's worth a shot to try though as she did enjoy a couple subs through Prime for her romance addiction.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I would suggest to check the website for each streaming app. Hulu doesn't appear to have one on their browser like Netflix does so it may be within the app itself.

11. sej222.sj

sej222.sj Thread Starter

First Name:
    Sara
    No, not seeing one in settings at all.

12. sej222.sj

sej222.sj Thread Starter

First Name:
    Sara
    Okay did find it. However you have to do it during streaming a video. Choose a selection and then hit play. There will be a gear icon at top right. Choose Low, Medium or High streaming quality. Seems you have to do so for every vid, so kind of a pain. Frankly it's useless unless you are in the app on a phone or tablet though as I see no settings other than subtitles or autoplay when I go to the gear icon while on my Roku TV.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK. Well at this point it's going to be you needing to monitor the usage / quality etc . is the $200+ price for all 3 services?

14. sej222.sj

sej222.sj Thread Starter

First Name:
    Sara
    Yes it is. Frankly I'd be happy to cut the cord but Mom is still invested in cable as I think she finds it easier to navigate over other options. We don't even use the phone service at all. I'm planning on going to Mediacom tomorrow and seeing if we can somehow upgrade data without hurting the bill too badly but frankly it seems unlikely.

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Most likely they won't. I tried that with Cox and my bill was more than they told me, then it went up again. We will be getting rid of phone and tv because there is really no need for it. the kids can watch SD... lol

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice