1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

best way to move a computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by felson, Dec 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. felson

felson Thread Starter

I am moving cross-country in a few months.

What is the best to transport a computer with its hard drive intact?

I have lots of precious stuff on my PC and I don't want anything damaged in the process of moving.

Should I remove the hard drives?

How transportable is the tower unit?

--felson

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

felson
    The computer is fragile but not that fragile that you would need to remove the hard drive unless of course you would feel safer. Make sure your Tower is packed in a large box that will allow for that plastic bubble pack to protect all sides, top, and bottom. If you yourself are transporting the computer it should be fine. If you are using one of the cross country movers then make sure box is clearly marked fragile. Another thought would be go to one of those stores that specialize in packing fragile items.
    Again if you would feel much more comfortable then of course remove the drive and carry it under your protection.

When computer arrives at its destination and you are setting it up before you plug it in inspect for loose connections or any damage that could of occured.

Dave

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi- Moving the computer can be risky no matter what you do. Some people pack the inside with papers to keep the cards in place and from breaking. They can still wiggle loose, just a matter of tightening all screws before packing and when resetting up at destination. Pack the whole tower in:
    The original box with the styrofoam if you have it. Buy styrofoam if you need to, pack it solidly with about 3 or 4 inches thick styrofoam, secured in sturdy shipping box or even a wooden crate or plastic tub. It would depend on the amount of movement of the crate itself, too- a cushioned, secured spot with no danger of crushing, moving around, sudden bangs is a must.
    I packed mine up under warranty once, it went to Calif. from NY and back, no damage, by UPS or FedEx- in the original shipping box only! Remember to pack those disks, booklets, etc with the computer so they dont get separated or lost. The hard drives are usually screwed in pretty well. You will of course need to inspect it all for loose cables, etc when it arrives. Hope this helps.

4. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

FYI- If you don't have the original box the proper way to move a monitor is face (screen) down (and cushioned/protected, of course).

5. felson

felson Thread Starter

thanks for the help.

i had a nightmare move once when a pc got torched on me. i don't want it to happen again.

--felson

6. BTS '76

BTS '76

Does anyone think he should back up his files before the move?

7. felson

felson Thread Starter

yes, sure, i'll back them up.

but i just heard hard drives are tricky items to move.

i don't wanna have to start from scratch.

--felson

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/107454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice