1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Best way to recover files cleared from the recycle bin?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JiminSA, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I need to recover a lot of files which I cleared from the recycle bin. There seems to be a lot of software out there which will help me do this. Like most users, I do not want to use unreliable s/w and would be pleased and grateful to hear your recommendations ...

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    First and foremost, assuming the files were deleted from the primary "C:" drive, the more the computer is used, the less likely you are to recover the files.

As to your actual question, you will need data recovery software. I've used and had good luck with EaseUS Data Recovery ( http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm ). Most of the name brand software will be free to download and test so that you can see if the data is found before you buy the software. If you want to use free software, there is TestDisk ( http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk ).

And all of the data should be recovered to another HDD. If you recover data to the same disc, it will very likely overwrite the data you are wanting to recover. This is the same reason not to use the computer/drive as noted in my starting comments. Windows/software is always writing data/temp files to the drive. So if the files were removed from the Recycle they are no longer protected and that drive space is marked as available to use and data will likely get written to where those files are/were located.

3. valis

valis Moderator

there is also Recuva, I've had good luck with that as well.

JiminSA likes this.
  4. Bailifeifei

Bailifeifei

5. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone. One further question:- do you perhaps know which app allows the largest amount of free data?

6. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I successfully retrieved the majority of my 'lost' files using recuva which has no limitations - (y) @valis and @Bailifeifei!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  7. valis

valis Moderator

Glad to help. now just make sure to back them up. ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice