1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to reformat PC?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by UrgentProject, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UrgentProject

UrgentProject Thread Starter

Hi, I'm a computer newbie. For the past month, my PC has been infected with a virus, cleaned with anti-malware programs, and re-infected again repeatedly. After browsing around for solutions, it seems like I have some "backdoor trojan". So, I've decided I want to reformat and wipe everything clean, making my PC 100% virus free. However, I have a lot of concerns about it. I'm worried that the virus will survive any reformatting as I've heard there are some boot sector viruses. I also don't know the "correct" method of thorough reformatting. I've heard about using disk cleaning utilities, zero filling, boot and nuking, low-level formatting, and manufacturer formatting and I'm not sure the way to go. Also, I lost my OS disk. Can anyone please help me? Thanks so much.

My computer specs are:
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

2. sonexpc

sonexpc

if you lost your OS disk how you do install after your format...

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You need an original bootable XP CD to format the hard drive and do a clean reinstall of XP.

You do not need any third-party programs or utilities because the XP CD does all the work.

------------------------------------------------------------

If the XP CD does not contain SP3, you need to download and save and burn off the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade to a CD-R.

Once you get XP SP1 or XP SP2 installed, you can then use the CD-R to upgrade it to SP3.

You also need to obtain and burn off to a CD-R the XP drivers for the devices in that computer.

The reinstall of XP likely will not install drivers for some or all of the devices, so you need to have them available to install afterwards.

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

no xp install disc download ubuntu os system and install.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice