Best way to replace 4 yr old Motherboard?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dear Prudence

:rolleyes: Hi

My system is 4 years old.

The motherboard is a MSI - MS 6585
Chipset SiS 648
ATX Form Factor.
CPU - Socket 478 for P4 processors (Willimate 478 and Northwood 478)
with 400/533 MHz (100/133Mhz QDIR)

Mine is a 2.8 GHz

I have 1GB of RAM - PC2700

I cannot seem to find a replacement mobo.

MY QUESTION

This is my first time changing a mobo.

Because my CPU and chipset are as above - am I restricted to what
replacement board I buy?

In other words, do I have to locate a motherboard with the
exact specs as my old board has?

Or can I upgrade to a more modern one.

I'm really in the dark here - any help would be appriciated.

Thanks, Stephen

You're really better off with a new computer. If you bought a new motherboard you would probably have to get a new processor and RAM, too.

It depends, are you thinking of changing the motherboard because the old one is faulty or do you want an upgrade? If you want to replace because the old one is broken then yes, you do need to get a very similar motherboard.
You'll need an ATX motherboard which has socket 478, able to use 400/533 mhz RAM. If you put "Socket 478" into the search field of ebay, it should give you a few boards there for sale. The model numbers can then be googled to find the exact specifications.

If you are replacing the motherboard for an upgrade, then I personally wouldn't as you may not see much improvement, unless you specifically wanted one with more USB ports or better integrated graphics/sound

crjdriver

You do understand that replacing the board will most likely require at least a repair install of the os correct?
Socket 478 boards are getting pretty hard to find now since the technology is pretty old. Newegg has a few however they are low end via boards; not what I recommend for an intel build.

mrss

Tough assignment. Socket 478 boards are no longer made and hard to find. Unless you can get the same make/model, you will likely have to reinstall your windows, reload all your applications, and copy your email folder, browser links, and stored passwords.

If you buy a current processor and CPU, you're looking at around $200US more for something lower end, but your case may not have enough power. and you still have to reinstall everything.

ferrija1 said:
Yeah, I know. You just have to check when the auction ends before you post it.
when i posted it.......he/she had the opportunity to bid/buy it!!!!

replay said:
when i posted it.......he/she had the opportunity to bid/buy it!!!!
You posted it at 10:00, where the person lives, it could be the middle of night and they might not come on TSG.

well since the poster hasnt answered or commented on anything its a moot point

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online