1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to transfer all data to new drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by liveMike, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. liveMike

liveMike Thread Starter

Here is the scenario:

I have a 160GB internal Seagate hard drive that I would like to put into my Dell Dimension 2350 as an upgrade from a Maxtor 20GB drive that is currently in the Dell. I also have a freshly NTFS formatted 160GB external USB 2.0 hard drive that I will be using to make back-ups on the Seagate. I am running MS Windows XP Home Edition.

My question is:

How do get the OS and all of the other data from the Maxtor drive to the Seagate drive?

The hitches:

The case only has room for one internal hard drive according to the specs, (the specs say- for internally accessible drives: "one bay for 1-inch-high IDE hard drive"), so I think making the Seagate a slave, transferring the data, then switching the Seagate to master is out of the question. Also, with this solution, I worry about having the OS on two different drives, I've heard this isn't possible or, if it is, may be illegal.
    I thought maybe I could ghost image the data to the LaCie external, then remove the Maxtor 40GB, install the Seagate 160GB, boot-up using the LaCie external then transfer the data to the newly installed Seagate internal, but I'm pretty sure my crappy model of computer won't allow me to boot from an external drive.

Any info given to help me through this situation would be greatly appreciated. I have searched the hardware forums a bit for an answer, but none of the threads seem to fit my specific situation.

Thanks in advance.

~mike

2. justfoo

justfoo

If your external hard drive is a kit you could put your new Seagate into it and do a drive copy if you have Ghost 9.0, then pull your 20 gig, and slig your Seagate in its place and viola, except you may need to boot up with the Ghost disk after you put it in and run Gdisk, at least I had to when I used this method to upgrade my Inspiron from a 40 gig to an 80 gig.
    Hope that helped.
    DF

3. liveMike

liveMike Thread Starter

It's not a kit, it's a self contained external hard drive, though I'm starting to wish I had bought a kit. The way I was thinking when I bought the external, was to use it for backup, and I wanted something small to fit into my fire safe.

4. justfoo

justfoo

actually if you're brave, or a fool like me, you might look at how to open it up, i have a Maxtor external and I popped it open and inside was just a standard Maxtor HD and a IDE to USB connector, but I admit I did do the drive copy thing on my other USB harddrive kit. I'm sure I could pop a different drive in the Maxtor though.

5. liveMike

liveMike Thread Starter

Ah, not that brave, both are brand new drives, i'd prefer a tried and true, (read: safe), method. Not to mention the warranty would probably go void if I opened it. This must be an ancient scenerio, surely someone can help a fellow?

6. justfoo

justfoo

you know Mike, thinking about it, you have a CD drive in that case right? is it on a separate ribbon cable than the HD? if it is then it's easy, pop the ribbon and power supply connection off the CD drive and pop them onto your new Seagate and do your drive copy, you don't actually need to mount the HD permanently, just set it on top or even on a box beside your open PC, (I have done that) , or if it's on the same cable as your HD just make sure you set the Seagate jumpers to be the same as your CD drive, should work for you I hope.

7. liveMike

liveMike Thread Starter

So the CD drive and Hard drive IDE connectors are the same? Interesting. Since we're going in this direction, maybe I should mention that in the specs for my computer, a secondary IDE channel is listed, (40-pin connector on PCI local bus), do you think this is the one for the CD drive, or yet a third connector? It would just seem strange to me that a connector would be included without the physical space for the device attached to it. Maybe I should open it up and take a look, I just hate to do that until I'm ready to go.

edit:

I checked the BIOS, there is a secondary "slave" IDE channel, odd that there is no place to mount whatever may be attached to it.

So I guess I'll try going the master/slave transfer route, and just set the new hard drive on the top. Then I just switch the jumpers to master on the seagate and install it to the main IDE and re-boot won't be a problem from the new drive?

8. justfoo

justfoo

Hi Mike sorry for the late reply, but it was midnight here and I turned into a pumpkin and went to bed ;)
    That could indeed be the case Mike, without having the spec's on your computer I can't be sure. By the way, I've found that if you go to Dell support and enter your service tag number you can get a wealth of information like service manuals and what not. If you post your service tag I'll go look up the site for you and show you a picture of how to find it for yourself as well.
    I'm not sure about the 40 pin cable, and your Seagate HD, the whole 80 pin / 40 pin thing with the IDE connectors has me confused, but I'm betting its the same type of cable as your HD is attached with.

9. brite750

brite750

yes you can plug a hdd into the same cable as cdrom, at least temporarally, a hdd should be on an 80pin for normal running, the extra wires prevent crosstalk

10. justfoo

justfoo

When you put your new HD in as your main drive you might get an error (darned if I remember what it said on mine ... got to write more stuff down...) but anyway the gist of it was that windows couldn't find drive zero, this was the document I found on Symantec regarding it:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...00/NT/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=&csm=no
    hope that link works.
    "GDISK 1 /MBR Reinitializes the Master Boot Record on drive 1" this was the command I used to fix my problem, don't know if it was the right thing, but it worked fo rme.
    DF

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/368851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice