1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best way to uninstall XP to install 95?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SweetChick, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SweetChick

SweetChick Thread Starter

Hi, I "upgraded" my old Compaq PII 300 machine to XP Home, it worked OK for awhile but now it's gotten so slow it's almost unusable, there isn't any spyware or virus on the machine so I think I want to reinstall the original 95 restore disk and then I have a 98 upgrade disk to install 98SE on it. Or another option is to use a Win 2000 Pro disk I have. What do you think is the best option? I've read you can't use F/disk on XP and if you use the XP disk to format it just reinstalls XP again.

2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Running XP on a Pentium 2 is going to be very slow no matter what you do. It's bare minimum requirement is not going to give you performance especially with todays applications.

If you want to install win95 or 98 this is the wrong forum for that. To install windows 2000 you simply put the cdrom in the drive and boot from it and run the setup.

Same with XP. You do NOT need fdisk for NT-class OS's. There are better tools on that CD, which is why fdisk has gone away. (It's still available but I digress)

What do you want to do with the disk anyways that requires you to pre-format? Dual booting or such? If so fdisk is still a poor choice, I'd use gparted instead.

3. SB305

SB305

If you've got a 98 boot floppy you can fdisk delete the unrecognised XP partition, create a new FAT 32 partition and format the drive.
    My opinion: stick at 98SE. I bought a Win 2000 hoping that it would be noticeably less bloated than XP. Think I ran it for the rest of the day after updating to SP4 then decided the exercise was pointless.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

bogus info.

ck the sig. a p2/450/256 that runs all the apps on the p4's.

better tools. fdisk is tried and true.
    i boot to the floppy on xp systems to remove partitions on machines i'm giving away and don't want anything on the hd.:confused:

5. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

How about a complete sentence so we can accurately know what your talking about.

None of my 'info' is bogus. I retired fdisk with windows 98, like many other MCSE's and others understanding that XP has superior disk management tools.

If you wish to use fdisk however I'm not stopping you...laughing maybe....but not stopping.

6. tulagi

tulagi

I foolishly installed xp on my old hp desktop. Barelly runs, essentially no free hd. I want to remove xp (how?) and re-install 98 SE. Will not boot from my se cd. message says must re-start in msdos mode . How?? I even tried using my rcovery disk, says no HD detected.
    what to do?
    Jim

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

I agree that there is no need to use old DOS tools in XP.

And as far as using fdisk to remove data from the drive, even free applications can completely recover all the data on a drive that has had its partitions removed with fdisk.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How much memory do you have in the old laptop?

I have a PII 400 with 384mb of ram running Windows 2000 just fine. I have been thing of putting XP on there because my old teacher is running XP on an old system with much less horse power. They key to that is to tweak the services that are running on the computer as well as not installing any unnecessary applications that run at startup or run in the system tray.

9. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

" Posts: 306
    Experience: Advanced

from post #2.

Running XP on a Pentium 2 is going to be very slow no matter what you do. It's bare minimum requirement is not going to give you performance especially with todays applications".:confused:

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How is that going to help you if you want to go back to Win 9X and a fat32 partition.

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If the Win 95 Restore CD can't delete the existing XP partition and restore Win95 a Win98 startup disk might do the trick. If that doesn't work, boot with the XP CD, and start the process to install WinXP. When the partitions are displayed, delete them all, then exit setup, or power off the PC. The Win95 Restore disk or Win98 boot disk should work to partition the drive. If you use fdisk from a win98 disk, and will be installing a version of Win95 prior to OSR2, do NOT enable large disk support.

HTH

Jerry

12. horsecharles

horsecharles

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!