Best Web Hosting?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sf_331

Who do you all think is the best for web hosting?
Its for a small buisness. I expect relatively low traffic, so I dont need anything fancy. What im a little worried about is exposure. What i mean by that is that I want to be featured in search engines such as Google and some websites want to charge me for that. Is that normal? Im a rookie when it comes to these type of things so I dont know what is the best deal out there.
Thanks for the Help

Google doesn't care what webhost you use and you don't need to buy a listing.
I use netbunch.com for hosting.

How much space and bandwidth do you need? You may be able to get a way with this amazing free host:

http://www.freewebsitehost.net/

They are currently under a huge server wipe - signups will be back up on the 15th!
Otherwise, I would go with 1&1. Great features and amazing prices! (10,000 MB of space and 500 GB of bandwidth for $4.99 per month! :cool: )

Right now I use Rackslash http://www.rackslash.com

Have had 100% uptime, no slowdowns or any problems whatsoever. Comes with complete CPanel (forums, chat, email, online store, etc etc) access and FTP uploading which is nice.

Otherwise, I would go with 1&1. Great features and amazing prices! (10,000 MB of space and 500 GB of bandwidth for $4.99 per month!
And I had serious issues with 1&1. Didn't like them at all and they are a bear to cancel with. Whatever you do, do your research. Google the company. See if they have problems listed on other forums.

Some places to look for a host:
Web Host Directory
Web Hosting Ratings

Whatever you do, do NOT pay for a full year in advance.
Make sure that service is your primary goal.
There is NO such animal as UNLIMITED bandwidth.
Uptime Guarantee, 100% is a big fat lie! No company can claim that because even the best has to do maintanence.
Avoid a contract...be able to leave when YOU decide.
Free hosting has problems, if you decide to switch later you usually can't save your files and take them with you.
Never have your hosting provider also provide your domain name
Check the speed of your potential host:
* Click 'Start'
* Click 'Run'
* Type in "cmd" (if using Windows XP, 2000 or greater) and click 'Ok'
* Then type "ping hostdomainname.com" and press 'Enter' and wait for it to finish

Look for the average ping time. The lower the number the better and the greater the chance your website will load fast, if you should host with them. Any number around a 90 average would be good. Anything below a 80 average is EXCELLENT! and an number over a 100 can cause your website to load very slowly.
I hope this helps. Liz

southernlady said:
And I had serious issues with 1&1. Didn't like them at all and they are a bear to cancel with. Whatever you do, do your research. Google the company. See if they have problems listed on other forums.

Some places to look for a host:
Web Host Directory
Web Hosting Ratings

Whatever you do, do NOT pay for a full year in advance.
Make sure that service is your primary goal.
There is NO such animal as UNLIMITED bandwidth.
Uptime Guarantee, 100% is a big fat lie! No company can claim that because even the best has to do maintanence.
Avoid a contract...be able to leave when YOU decide.
Free hosting has problems, if you decide to switch later you usually can't save your files and take them with you.
Never have your hosting provider also provide your domain name
Check the speed of your potential host:

I hope this helps. Liz
I had some small setup issues with 1&1 (database transfer problems), but I got them fixed and now I use them and so far it's wonderful! My site is almost always up and FTP works great and PHP and everything.

EDIT: Oh God... Liz, I thought you were joking - I did a search on 1&1 and now I feel sick to my stomach... Let's hope I somehow avoid all of that... :eek:

As for freewebsitehost.net, they are a far cry from your average free hosting company. While there isn't much space or bandwidth, there are no ads at all and the support is absolutely amazing. And they have FTP access, so there is no reason you can't take your files with you. :)

Oh God... Liz, I thought you were joking - I did a search on 1&1 and now I feel sick to my stomach... Let's hope I somehow avoid all of that..
That's why I suggested googling the company. One of the best that I have come across other than the one you are sitting on right now :) is this one: Crucial Paradigm go here to check out their web hosting: Crucial Paradigm-Web Hosting I've googled them and found very little wrong, and know people who love them. I can't personally recommend them since I am my own host. Liz

Webhostingtalk.com has everything you could possibly need to know about hosting (and 1&1 is not too popular there.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online