1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best wifi setup for multihome?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SneakySssnake, Jan 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SneakySssnake

SneakySssnake Thread Starter

So I have a home with an " in law" suite in back. I know they offer an out door product, but I can't afford the outdoor product and the orbis at this time.

The in law suite is maybe 22 feet from the closest wall of the in-law suite to the living room of the main house. The house itself is approx 2200 square feet or so.

I currently subscribe to 400 mbps internet. Would it be better to get a 3 pack of the ac2200 or a 2 pack of the ac3000?

I am thinking of possibly placing the main unit in the in law suite ( since that's where the most tech savvy person will be ) and the extension devices in the main house.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    If we assume that all you want is some wifi connction there and you don't want to spend a lot of money. Then, what I'd do, is to pull a cat5e cable from the main router. Add an access point in the suite and you should be good to go. You can even, if you so desire, give them their own SSID there. Or, you can add a couple of access points and bridge the one there onto your main wifi.
    You certainly don't need a separate router in there.
    But that too can be done. Just disable the DHCP in "their" router. Connect a cat5e cable to the Lan connection on it and you can configure the second router as you please.

3. SneakySssnake

SneakySssnake Thread Starter

The router in the suite would work. My question is whether it would provide adequate teach and speed to the satellite orbi in the main home.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    That I can not answer. Obviously it'll affect the individual bandwidth as more devices have to share.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unifi Outdoor access points are pretty cheap, I'd look into those.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice