1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best wired/wireless set up for me?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stormyq, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stormyq

stormyq Thread Starter

Thanks in advance for reading my post and for any assistance you can provide.

In the process of upgrading my home network to optimize performance for new home entertainment gear :D. We have a two story home and my internet service is DSL from AT&T (6mb/s max down). Modem w/ built-in 802.11g is located in the master bedroom as we have only 2 phone jacks downstairs and neither are in ideal locations for anything except plugging in a phone.

So my first dilemma is whether to add a phone jack in the family room. This way I can move the modem there do wired ethernet connections to most of the equipment. Biggest challenge there is getting to the location in the attic where the line would need to be dropped inside the wall.

So I will be dealing with one of two scenarios -- 1) modem in master connected via wireless to family room equipment, or 2) modem in the family room with wired ethernet.

I have purchased two new Wireless-N routers in the last few weeks to see which best meets my needs or perhaps to use both together in a router & access point set up. One router is the TP Link TL-WR1043ND which offers gigabit ports AND a USB connection for connecting my external hard drive but this router is single band 2.4 Ghz only. The other router is the Linksys E2000 which offers selectable dual band (not simultaneous) and gigbit ports as well but this one has no USB connection.

Scenario #1 - Modem stays in the master with wired connection to TP Link router. Then the Linksys goes to the family room set up as a access point / client bridge (?) (requires DD-WRT?) with wired connections to all of the home entertainment gear. Do I gain anything from this configuration vs. not setting up the bridge and just connecting all of the equipment wirelessly to the TP Link router in the bedroom? In either scenario the equipment is using a wireless signal that is coming either directly from the router in the bedroom, or through a second router that is getting the signal wirelessly. (?)

Scenario #2 - Modem moves to the family room with wired connection to one of the routers. The router would be changed from mixed mode to operate on 'N' only. All of the gear in that room would be hard wired. Laptops and my TRENDnet TEW-647GA Wireless N Gaming Adapter would go upstairs for the PS3. Would lean toward using the TP Link router in this scenario so I could connect my external hard drive to the network via USB. Would then use the built-in router on the modem for my 'G' devices and to connect my older devices to a different network SSID. Unless there is a reason the Linksys would be the better choice here for other reasons. I can put the Linksys in 5Ghz mode but I don't think any of my equipment operate on that frequency anyway. (??)

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Particularly interested in knowing if custom firmware (DD-WRT) on one or both of the routers would be necessary in either scenario described above.

Thank you!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Unless allthe wireless equipment you have will work on the 5g band then you will need to use 2.4 - which you have covered

Will all the equipment run wirelessly - some may be ethernet only and that may save money by using the router

another alternative maybe to use powerconnectors to bridge the two routers via the mains

I have a router with USB in the bedroom - also has a 1TB harddrive attached which I use for backup and music around the house
    Then a WAP connecting TV , PVR by ethernet - in living room
    all works very well - good wireless coverage - only 2.4 due to compatibility - Music plays through TV or PVR and then onto hifi
    also can stream video etc TV & PVR

3. stormyq

stormyq Thread Starter

All equipment has built-in WiFi. In the family room it's a Vizio LED, an LB BD570 Blu-ray and a Nintendo Wii. Then upstairs I have a PS3 (with the wireless-n gaming adapter). Additional wireless equipment -- 2 laptops (both N), two android phones (1 N & 1 G) and a printer.

Primary objective is creating the best possible internet connection in the family for streaming movies, music, videos through the TV, Blu-ray player and a WD Live media player I am thinking about purchasing.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I'm streaming HD Broadcast 1080i (thats all thats broadcast in UK ) over "G" about 30G (SD & HD Video, Internet Radio and some stored music and video on the USB drive) so far this week, (I'm doing some testing) and its worked perfectly

if i was starting out again - i would probably put the Modem and Router with cable connections for the TV etc - as i was thinking of then making a 5g wireless available - but in the end i didnt use a new router i was supplied - still thinking about that ..

whats the wireless signal & speedtests like in the family room when the router is in the bedroom ? - you can use xirrus to graph that

i guess before you start trying to get telephone cables run down walls etc - the simple way would be to try with just the router in the bedroom and everything connected by wireless - you can only improve on that setup and quite easy to setup and test

equipment I'm using

Bedroom
    WAG320N
    USB 1TB drive - media server for music and backup
    two printers - wireless and USB connected to printserver to router
    three USB 250/500GB harddrives on a server to router (not on all the time , only as required)

Living room
    Edimax WAP
    Humax PVR - connected to WAP via ethernet
    TV - connected to wap by ethernet

various laptops - sometimes - upto 6
    various phones / ipads /netbooks
    depending on children visiting :)
    no game consules
    Did have a ROKU for Hifi music streaming - replaced by TV and PVR as they both have DLNA

Video, Music. Internet streamed to TV DLNA and also PVR has a TV portal, i'm testing for streaming TV live , on-demand and BBC iplayer

5. stormyq

stormyq Thread Starter

Xirrus shows a signal of -46dBm on my laptop in the family room. Speed test is close to my max service from AT&T but that is not indicative of the speeds I get in the evenings when it will frequently come back under 1 Mb/s. The quality test from Ping.net was pretty inconsistent. My grades within a 5 minute span were D, D, A, A, F, B, C, B.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is that regardless of where you are - if you connect by cable to the router in the bedroom - what do you get - just for a comparison
    if you are getting the same type of results near the router on wireless or by cable - then I dont think any different configuration will help - if you see what i mean ...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice