Best Wireless PCI Card?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dyckah

I am currently accessing the internet through a dlink wireless-g usb connector.. even though it says i have a good connection(54.9Mbps Signal Strength Excellent) The internet is really slow.
i currently have the fastest pc in my house, yet it has the slowest net connection, this is not due to the location, as i have brought our laptops in here, and they get a far better connection.
I have heard that slow connections is a problem with Dlink wireless adapters, especially the usb ones..
so my question is, what would be the best pci card to purchase, and get faster download rates

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, most PCI cards will also require an external antenna, since the placement of the antenna next to the back of the machine is rarely optimal. :)

Any brand name card should do the trick...

I have a D-LINK USB wireless adaptor, tho' I don't use it normally as I relocated the router eventually so that I could hard-wire to the PC ! The D-LINK came with an adaptor stand + USB cable, so that you could locate the wireless adaptor remote from the USB port on the PC. Did you not get one of those? It might help the antenna problem.....

dyckah

the kit i got did come with this, and i always have a strong connection, however, even when it tells me the connection is strong, i get slower internet speeds than my other laptops do with a fair/poor connection...
it doesnt make sence to me.. im pretty close to the router, just no way to get an ethernet cable to the room.. so it doesnt matter where the adapter sits, really

TerryNet

Terry
USB 1.1 or 2.0?

What internet download speeds are you getting and what speeds are the other computers getting?

dyckah

well, off a random http download, mine started at 35kb/s, and ended at 13kb/s, and one of the laptops just started at 230kb/s and finished at 55 kb/s downloading the same file off the same mirror

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online