1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

best/worst joystick

Discussion in 'Games' started by katrob, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katrob

katrob Thread Starter

Tell me your favorite and/or most hated joysticks. I need a new one and I am at a loss after several bad experiences. My latest have been a Wingman 3d extreme made with a flimsy gimbal in the twist that continually broke and a Precision 2 that has become invisible to my USB port.

2. RT

RT

Hi katrob

Was your Wingman out of warranty?
    I rather like the Wingman Xtreme 3D, had it about 4-5 months with no complaints, especially like the stable base that seems heavier than some of the other sticks I've tried. I'm thinking of modifying it a bit by adding some kind of padding or rubber to the grip.

Here's a link for the Precision2 and USB port issue, in case you haven't already checked:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx

And here's a link I hope you find useful, they review all kinds of controlers. Mostly the opinions of just a few testers, but they seem serious about what they do:

http://www.joystickreview.com

3. katrob

katrob Thread Starter

My wingman was an older model I believe. The newer ones should have a better gimble (I would hope). Back when they first came out there was a rash of sticks that lost their twist axis and then behaved erratically. There was no good support for the hardware side, and mine was out of warranty, so I cracked it open and figured out that the twist axis gimble was a small ball and socket type arrangement that easily got entangled with the wiring inside the handle. It was a big ol' mess. I ended up fixing it 2 or 3 times and finally giving up. The base is very sturdy though and the stick itself was good and solid.

Oh yeah. As for the nightmare of MS support, I've done everything but mess with my BIOS settings (see my post in hardware) but it appears from the MS messyboards that it is a fairly common occurance. Thanks for the links though.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I love my sidewinder. Couldn't ask for more.

5. Dr. Michael

Dr. Michael

Hi,

If you're looking for absolute realism in a flight stick, you simply can't beat the products available through www.chproducts.com.

I never had any issues with my microsoft or saitek products, but was not thrilled with their feel and motion. The CH sticks are simple and unbelievably realistic. They're expensive, but well worth the money.

Good luck!!

Dr. Michael

6. belveder

belveder

I've got a Genius Flight 2000 Digital F-23, worked lovely until I put on XP , so I had to dump it lol

7. MrDave

MrDave

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2. I love this thing, easy to configure, WinXP has automatic driver support, helps me lay quick waste in Mechwarrior 4 MUAHAHAHAHA. And for the NHL, Madden, Fifa type games, Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad.

8. katrob

katrob Thread Starter

I liked the Precision 2 very much...until it disappeared on me. I have tried everything I have come across to get it to work to no avail. It just doesn't want to be detected. I'm gonna have to give up on it and get a new one soon.

9. Captainkewl

Captainkewl It's My Birthday!

I play nhl 2006 quite a bit and I picked up a Saitek P2500 rumbleforce pad. It's a very good and durable game pad, but I had to change the name of the gamepad in the registry to get it to work properly with nhl 2006. In the gamepad registry I renamed the gamepad to just "Saitek 2500". That cleared up the compatibility issue. If anyone needs to know how to do this, just ask. Cheers.

10. CDBongo

CDBongo

I had a black saitek rumblepad controller, and it was horrible because the buttons would stick so much, and after a while whenever you touched it it would creak because it was built so flimsy. Now i have an xbox 360 controller, which is perfect in every aspect except the analog pads are offcentered, the right one drifts slightly to the right, and the left one drifts slightly to the left, and it drives me crazy in-game, to bad the xbox 360 doesn't have analog pads like the saitek (which were indestructable and flawless) or there WOULD be an answer to "what is the perfect controller?"
    btw i have calabrated and have the latest drivers, blah blah blah ect.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/123387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice