1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beta 3 v.3244 not allowing upgrades?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hisdimple, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hisdimple

hisdimple Thread Starter

Bought a 2nd hander. Assumed it had a true SP 3. Wrong. Didn't realize until I could not upgrade IE, From 6 to 8. Claims I have a newer version of needed files. No Microsoft at all showing in Add/Remove except SP3 20071030.213554 {since 2008} No updates what so ever....HP support showing 5.1.2600 hotfix K936929... My Computer showing Version 2002 SP3 3,v.3244.,,,Which I now realize is a stand alone beta. Microsoft.com will not prompt/upload any updates to my computer. Can I safely remove the beta SP 3, restart, then install the Microsoft SP 3 from a USB? In Safe Mode?

TSG LOG

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, v.3244, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1023 Mb
    Graphics Card: RADEON X300 Series, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 38154 MB, Free - 25516 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 0968h
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Any ideas would be appreciatted. Lynne

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Lynne:

If you bought a second-hand computer that still contains all the "debris" and problems from its previous owner, you need to do a clean reinstall of Windows and get a fresh start with it.

According to your TSG log, it appears to be a HP/Compaq brand.

What is its model name and model number?

What is the product number(P/N) on the sticker?

------------------------------------------------------

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Make sure you get all of the correct xp drivers needed for your model beforehand and put them on a cd so that when you do the reinstall you will have them and not have to go hunting around for them.they will come in handy any time you have to do a reinstall for whatever reason.

4. hisdimple

hisdimple Thread Starter

Thank you for your time!

HP Compq dc7100 CMT (DX438AN)
    Bios - HP 78C1 v01.05
    XP PRO
    5.1.2600 3.0
    Hot Fix Kb936929

Sticker?

I found in Windows Explorer

framework v7.74322 (2008)
    Win SxS 2008

My main concern is that there are no microsoft updates. Can't update Java or IE. Am I wrong to assume that it is the fault of the beta SP 3 version? Have seen many references to this. Should I not dwld SP 3 from microsoft to a disc, uninstall this beta, (revert to SP 2) then install the SP 3?

5. hisdimple

hisdimple Thread Starter

Your absolutely right. I would like to copy my windows to do a clean install, but can';t find it. I may have to windows off my other computer. Thank you for help. :)

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You have a HP Compaq dc7100 Convertible MiniTower

I suggest you add and save this site somewhere so you can readily refer to it when needed.

You're in luck because the Computer Surgeons HP Recovery Center site has a recovery disc kit available that you can purchase for that desktop.

Go to the site, then type in hp compaq dc7100 in the search box.

There's also a 1-800 phone number so you can call the company.

The recovery disc kit will revert that desktop back to its original factory condition.

------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice