1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beta games question

Discussion in 'Games' started by bigk, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigk

bigk Thread Starter

Hey every one,

What does it mean to join a beta game? Some times you can pre-order a game or visit a company web site and register to play a beta version of a game. Whats the point of this? Is it to play this game and then report bugs? Or is it mainly to have fans enjoy the game before its released to the public? What do you do with this beta?

I assume its for people to just enjoy the game before its released to the public....... ;)

Bigk :)

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi bigk,
    As I understand it, "Beta" versions are still in test mode and the manufacturers ask for feedback from people trying them out. I've often seen disclaimers saying (in brief) test at your own risk and we're not liable if anything happens to your system. That's why I don't risk it. But I'm sure there are those who are well able to resolve their problems and enjoy helping out.

Richard.

3. tajaemax

tajaemax

4. GripS

GripS

Don't be afraid to try em though. They have to put that disclaimer in there, however, it's not likely to harm your system. If people don't test em and provide feedback then we all lose. "Why don't they test it themselves?" You might ask. Well there are way too many variables involved with PC's. It's best to 'test it out in the field'.

5. Compiler

Compiler

As a beta tester, you get to play a game (or other software) before others do - but you NEED to send in the bugreports (usually the game generates it for you, if possible) along with your hardware stats.

In return you may get the retail version of the game for free.. or youre paid - it varies.

6. Akmorph

Akmorph

Depending on the game you can get special features.

I beta tested Everquest, All the EQ1 Expansions, Everquest 2 and all up until EOF. For participating I recieved special ingame items, a chance to see content before anyone else and learn secrets before anyone else, on the forums I recieved a special nickname / handle.

Some companies will give free copies of the games away, depending on what level of beta you are participating in. If your in an open beta that you got off of a website, chances are they are not going to buy you the game , and they are just trying to stress test their servers or get information back from the players.

If you are invited to a Alpha test or Beta 1 test, you might get some benefits from it, but these invites are usually private and usually set to those friends of the programmers or people close to the families of the company testing out the new product.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice