1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Better Drivers, Please

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ViperFan, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ViperFan

ViperFan Thread Starter

First Name:
    Charlie
    I have an Acer Aspire 7740 with an Arthos ar5B93 wifi card that has a great handshake speed of 300 mps, but on a speed test it only registers less than 1 mps. Even the upload speed is faster! I would like to know where I can download a new driver, edit the current one or compile another. I am no Linux superman, but I am willing to learn.

I also have a problem with the video on the same machine as it won't run Gnome 3 because the drivers are missing. It is using Intel's GMA HD graphics on a 3i processor. I surfed the net for another driver, but that was impossible to find.

Besides telling me to toss my laptop into the trash or fall in love with Windoze 7, any help is greatly appreciated.

I am currently running Mint Linux 11 on my laptop and like it very well.

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

There are no "extra" Intel video drivers. Intel video drivers are built into the kernel.

What problem are you having running Gnome 3?

3. ViperFan

ViperFan Thread Starter

First Name:
    Charlie
    In Mint 12 the OS uses Gnome 3 and that removes functionality such as resizing windows, applets and all eye candy. Mint 11 does not use Gnome 3 and it works on my laptop all right.

Although I am not on the cutting edge of Linux programming, I prefer it as the system is much faster on my laptop. I also like the feel and appearance of the GUI themes and eye candy. I have also used Ultimate Edition Linux 2.9 (another Ubuntu-based distro) on my desktop and it has a feature to search for non-free drivers, etc. Since it would be virtually impossible for a kernel to have all the drivers for all the video cards, it was my hope to update or edit the system so I could get it working properly. Until there's some kind of work-around, I will stay with Mint 11 64 bit.

Thanks for your reply and your insight. Have a super Sunday!

4. lewmur

lewmur

Mint 12 has the "extra drivers" feature. But it is for nVidia and ATI chipsets. There are no proprietary drivers for the Intel chipsets to the best of my knowledge.

You might want to do some reading about the GUI choices for Mint 12. Vanilla Gnome 3 isn't your only option.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Typically, for video drivers, it is necessary to visit the video card manufacturer's web site to find relevant drivers that could help - so, the first thing to do on a Linux computer is to issue a linux command that will list the video card.

Use the command:
    $ sudo lshw > lshw.out 2>&1

to find out the name of your driver and video card manufacturer.

-- Tom

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!