1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Better gameplay on older graphics card

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by NIKEZ, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NIKEZ

NIKEZ Thread Starter

I'm using a Sapphire HD5870 and I'm playing GTA4. There are these annoying stutters my fps is running around 30-40. When I look at things, the boxes and shadows are barely finished loading. I switched to my 9800GT and tried the game out, and the game is running smoothly. I'm running it around 60 fps with no stutters. This is weird, because when I was playing Bad Company 2 on the 5870 card, the fps is around 60-120. On this card, Bad Company 2 is running around 40-60. Any suggestions?

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Your new Vid card takes advantage of the DX11 game playability so one has to make sure that the games in question has the DX11 ability.
    Did you dowload and install the latest drivers from your Vid Card site?
    Do you also have DX10 and DX9 installed on your computer for backward playability.

Just some thoughts
    Good luck
    Ray

3. NIKEZ

NIKEZ Thread Starter

Dx11 is installed on the pc. Actually, I just found out that nVidia cards are better at running GTA4 than ATI cards. It's weird, actually. =|

4. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

I have no doubt that you have DX11 since it comes with Windows 7.
    Just curious, when you installed the GTA4 game, did it ask you if you wanted to install Direct X10 or DX9?

Not surprising that NVidia cards play better with GTA4, they really put out LOTS and Lots of $$$$$ to sponsor games to work with their cards, especially all the action games like racing, war games, etc.

Did you download the latest drivers as mentionned before?

Ray

5. NIKEZ

NIKEZ Thread Starter

GTA4 did not ask me to install dx9 or 10, but however I recently installed Bioshock and it asked me to install dx10, which I did. After this, though, I installed the latest directx.

6. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Did you go to the GTA4 Forum itself, they often have good tips on how to get this game going to it's fullest.

7. NIKEZ

NIKEZ Thread Starter

No, I haven't. I'll get on that, thanks. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice