1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Better WiFi Connection Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by patmac, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

I have a Sony Vaio for work, using an Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN. We are situated inside a large manufacturing facility(fab). Recently we had to move where we usually sit. Now my wireless connection is really bad. Is there a way to improve this, either through a hardware add-on or tweaking the WiFi Link properties? Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The answer to your question if a very definite "maybe."

Is your "really bad" connection

a. because of distance from the wireless access point?

b. Because of obstruction(s) in the path?

c. Because of wireless interference?

A fix for (a) could be a better antenna. A fix for (c) could be a "tweak" (actually a change of channel used).

3. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thanks. We moved from where were sitting and the quality/reliability really changed. I'm still in the middle of some big manufacturing tools, the same as before, only about 30 feet away from where we were. There is alot of RF, high voltage and production equipment running, so interference is a definite. This has got to be a pretty big WiFi setup, everyone in the fab uses it. Things just got noticeably worse when we moved our seats. Could I start with tweaking? I notice there are many variables listed under the WiFi Link, in Device Manager.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know of anything you can do in Device Manager unless the wireless adapter has a Property where power can be reduced. If it has such a Property make sure it is set for maximum power.

Try the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector to see what it can tell you about signal strength and possible interference.

If you have a laptop start at your previous location and see how the Xirrus output changes as you move to your current space.

5. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

I ran the locate function and walked back and forth between our new and old positions with no change in the pinging sound. From what I can gather, it looks like I'm connected to the best out of all the "visitor" channels and connections. It has what I'm guessing is the least amount of attenuation of all the channels/connections, -34db. Is that where I would see any interference?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know if Xirrus explicitly shows interference--I didn't notice anything in the User Guide.

You certainly seem to be getting a very strong signal, so distance and obstructions shouldn't be issues. On the Network page you can see whether there is interference from other wireless signals. Attach a screen shot of that page if you want our "expert" opinions.

Netstumbler can help determine if there is other "noise" interfering, but it's still only implemented for XP.

7. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thanks. I can't show the screen shot, working at a customer's site. Since the locater did not change at all from where we were to our present location, I would say that's not the issue. It also seems to get better as the day goes on. Possibly early morning, many are logging onto the WiFi, and vendors/visitors may have a different priority than the customer does.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice