Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Better/Worse? Two old CPU's for old PC..

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Super-D-38 
#1 ·
Just a curiosity question. I found an old AMD K6 chip in a scrap computer.
I would like to know if it is better/faster than my "Cyrix Instead" with MMX?
Both I think are 266's and socket 7.......

It's for my first PC that is now used for solitaire and surfing the net...

And what steps, if any, should I do to swap them, if the K-6 turns out better?

#2 ·
If it is a K6-2 then it likely will run faster. However you wont really notice the diference. as a matter of fact if it is a 266<hz chip it is not going to be a K6-2 cpu. But it will still likely runa bit fastr than a Cyrix chip.

#3 ·
I had a K6 and it was a 500mhz. Also, it was faster than its predecessor, the Thunderbird.

You can try just taking one out and putting the other one in. If both are socket 7 they should fit. Whether they clear the bios is another story. You also might have to get a more powerful fan for the faster processor. Also, your multiplier clock may have to be adjusted. You can consult the motherboard manual to find out what the new settings should be.

Be sure the line the dot on the chip up with the flat corner on the processor holder.

IF you see anything smoking, overheating or a hear a buzzer going off unplug it immediatly ;)

If you don't have your motherboard manual you might be able to download one by going to the manufacturer's website. You need to know the make and model number. You can find this out by opening the case and reading it, restarting your computer and pressing PAUSE and then ESC on your keyboard until it comes up, or downloading the BELARC ADVISOR and reading what it says.

Good Luck,
HULK! ;)

#5 ·
All right I'm stuck....
The Chip says: AMD-K6/266AFR 2.2V core 3.3V I/O ..A 9825CPBW

Ok I know how to set the core and I/O.. But what speed is it? And how do I set it?..
I have the manual and I've attached the page that says how... But I don't see this chip listed and I don't won't to get this wrong.

Column on the right sets the CPU speed, but what do I set it to?

Attachments

#6 ·
First, a 266 won't give you much more speed than a 233. A better idea would be to add more RAM. How much ram do you have in there now?

Second, usually motherboard settings have a 233> setting. Yours doesn't appear to have one. If this computer doesn't mean that much to you I'd try the 233 setting and see if it works. LIke I said it won't increase speed that much anyway.

If it DOES mean something to you I'd stop right here and get the RAM instead.

#7 ·
Well it has sentimental value.......... uh wait.. well yes I do need to keep it.
Ram, a recent upgrade has me to 64MB of DIMM.. (Was 32MB of SIMM..) You remember the real Olllllld stuff.

If I remember rightly the board can only handle 256MB.. But unless it's free, it ain't worth it.

And the Cyrix claims it's also a 266MHz.... I was just curiouse if it would be a good swap... Sounds like a NO.

Thanks for the info and insight.

#8 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.