1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beyond bricked?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JennaP, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JennaP

JennaP Thread Starter

Asus Eee PC X101 running Meego 1.1.

I decided to ditch Meego because it's utterly unsupported and I was starting to have issues with websites (vital ones) not working in Chromium - and no other browser would work except a horribly buggy development version of Opera.

Instead of going straight to installing a new OS, I made a boot image on a USB stick. Then I got dumb - I didn't realize I had to disable boot booster. Rebooted three times trying to get it into the boot menu.

On the third time it crashed hard and I had to pull the battery. THEN I realized I needed to turn off boot booster.

Pulled out the USB stick, tried to boot the system.

Drive light flickered and went off again. Fan powered up. Power switch light on. No other lights on. Did not boot. Crud.

Tried resetting the BIOS. Nope.

Tried the horrible process of power cycling the CMOS. That caused the wi-fi light to come on - which I suppose is progress.

Since then I've tried flashing the BIOS from the USB drives, but it isn't even getting to the preboot/splash screen to do that. I've also tried a power drain, I've tried pulling the battery and booting just on AC power.

It's long out of warranty and if your suggestion involves spending money on it - it's not worth it at this point. But if anyone has anything I've missed here that's worth trying before I go out and just buy a new device...

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I cant even think of any magical free solutions that will fix the problem. i dont know if its bricked but depending on the age of the computer it might of just given up and might be worn out.usually to me when a computer gets bricked its from a bios update going horribly wrong and the motherboard gets damaged so badly that it cant be fixed except replaced.if its not worth fixing you might be able to find a good used computer instead of having to buy a brand new one.

3. JennaP

JennaP Thread Starter

It IS well over three years old - hence the not worth repairing (And for those who don't know, the Eee PC's were ultra lightweight cheapos). I think the BIOS went out completely. It doesn't seem to be the SSD, because I would think it would still boot from USB with a blown drive.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree that it is not worth putting any money into fixing. Have you tried pulling the battery AND removing AC pw then holding down the pw switch for 1 min? If not, do so. It costs nothing and you might get it to post. Once you finish holding down the pw switch, release and plug in the AC. Push the pw button and see what happens.

I have had an asus 1215 netbook for about 3 1/2yrs now. Running linux mint. It has been across the country countless times, many hotel rooms, etc. No issues at all [other than being slow]

5. JennaP

JennaP Thread Starter

Sorry, yeah. I did try that one - I'm so fried from this that I'm forgetting things I tried.

I'm fairly sure it's BIOS corruption, but as I can't even get to the boot screen I can't fix it.

I've heard some really good things about Mint lately. I'm going to go look at some Chromebooks - cheap and should do everything I need from this (I only need email, web and a word processor, so...)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have tried many distros however I always come back to mint. It just works with few [if any] issues. The only thing I have ever had problems with using mint was the install of a network printer. It would never install using the print utility however using cups, I was able to install the printer.

7. JennaP

JennaP Thread Starter

You're just the second person in less than 24 hours singing Mint's praises ;).

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Mint comes in a bunch of formats; MATE, Cinnamon, KDE, XFCE, and even a debian based version. So there is a lot of choices.

9. JennaP

JennaP Thread Starter

Right now I'm looking at a Samsung Chromebook because, unfortunately, I need a working portable NOW and can't wait until I have the money for something with more oomph.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!