1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BF2 Black Screen

Discussion in 'Games' started by mooml, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mooml

mooml Thread Starter

When i play BF2 it goes through the credits (ea games or whatever) and then it plays the opening movie. Then it goes to the screen where it says something... but then the screen goes black. I here music in the backround. (I'm guessing it's the music for the title screen?) Whats wrong?!

2. mooml

mooml Thread Starter

Damnit! Just saw the list of video cards that BF2 is compatible with. Is there a patch or anything i can download so that i don't have to go out and buy a new card?

3. Forseer

Forseer

It depends what your card is. BF2 is the type of game that needs a really high spec PC.

4. mooml

mooml Thread Starter

My computer meets all the requirements.. except i don't have a compatible card. I have an ATi Radeon 9200. The game supports the Radeon series.. but not my card. :(

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Eww. 9200 and BF2 are not friends, the card just isn't good enough.

6. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Yeah, it's definitely the card. It just isn't going to run BF2 well, or at all for that matter. You've got to decide what's more important- spending the money to get the game to run, or saving your money and returning the game if you can.

But BF2 is a great game, and I'd personally go with the first option. This card is not bad at all:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814153020

It's what I've been running on my system for BF2 (although it came with my Dell- not a Jetway from Newegg). I run it at medium settings but I'm sure it could go higher if I so chose.

Unfortunately, that card must have died on me for no apparent reason after 2 years, so Dell is replacing it with the exact same one for me.

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Instead of the Jetway I got the sapphire 9600XT RED which works great. I think it costs about $10 more but you get a lilbit more MHz.
    Both are great for under $100 cards that play BF2.

8. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Isn't the 9600XT a 128mb card?

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Naw, theres a 256 and 128 version.

10. mooml

mooml Thread Starter

Well this(the radeon 9200) isn't the card that came with my computer. I bought the card mainly because i wanted to play Halo(1) and it was compatible with it.

When we were shopping for a new video card i told my parents it would be better to spend extra money for a very nice card so that we wouldn't need one in a few years... they didn't listen.

How come the video card that 8dalejr.fan listed is $79 more than the video card that iXneonXi suggested? Is it really worth that much more money?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814153020
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102450&CMP=KNC-overturesmx&ATT=product

The 9600 sounds pretty tempting to buy. Would it be a good choice?

11. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

The 9800XT is a 256mb 256-bit card. The 9600XT is a 128/256mb 128-bit card.

If you want to go into detail:
    http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/

Put a checkmark in the 9800XT and the 9600XT and you'll get comparison specs for both cards.

12. mooml

mooml Thread Starter

Unfortunetaly... since i'm not to smart when it comes to computers... i can't understand what anything means under the 'Specifications' category. I'm not sure how much better the 9800 will be. The numbers are higher for the 9800, but i'm not sure in what way those higher numbers will help.

Also, just being curious, but what is the best video card that Ati makes?

Edit: I guess that link doesn't work.

13. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

ATI's best card right now is probably the X850XT PE AGP, which would cost $700 CDN.

14. mooml

mooml Thread Starter

Well that would be nice to have but completely impractical. I need some opinions.. should i get the 9600 or the 9800? The 9600 is very cheap, but i'm afraid i'm gonna have the same problem i'm having now in a couple years.

But.. i'll probably have a computer of my own in a couple years.

15. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Neither the 9800 or the 9600 will be good in a couple of years. I just bought the 9600XT because it was much cheaper, is on par with my friend's brand new 9800 (seriously, our two computers play just about the same and mine was much cheaper). PCI express is where it's at, and ATI has a card better than the x850. They have the new series and also NVIDIA's what's really got it going at the moment. But AGP is nearing the end of it's life.

I just say get the 9600XT. The price of the 9800 is over doing it for it's age. While my card may only be 128 bit and only have 4 pixel pipelines instead of 256 and 8, I've seen computers running on the 9800 and you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the extra $$.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice