1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BFG GeForce 6200 OC 256mb pci Video Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by evangelistc01, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evangelistc01

evangelistc01 Thread Starter

I've read a few of these topics before on this website, but do to the clutter, nothing helped.

About:
    I have a BFG GeForce 6200 OC 256mb pci Graphics Card.
    5.44.A2.05.01 Video Bios
    91.47 ForceWare Version
    My comp is a Presario SR1103WM

Everything else works fine, but when it comes to playing videos in (i believe) any format, the computer will slow way down (the computer is so slow I can't really keep track of cpu usage - I'm guessing 90-100%), and when I press ctrl-alt-del, then hit cancel, the problem disappears . However, youtube videos work just fine (wtf?).

Okay, so before I'm told to uninstall, use drivercleaner.net, and reinstall, I'd like to try any other possible solutions. I'm uneasy to obtain drivercleaner.net's software because you have to pay for it. I have a pet peeve when it comes to providing personal (financial) information online, so right now, I'm not diggin' it. Is there another driver cleaner program I can use that I can download for free, and that works just as good? Is using that driver cleaner the best way to reinstall?

Lastly, should I downgrade to this ForceWare version? Or is there a better option?
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_84.21.html

Thanks

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

Ok, thats a very old card....PCI........Whats that.....lol

And Yes...
    First thing I would do is to Install an earlier driver.........

3. evangelistc01

evangelistc01 Thread Starter

My card isn't old. It's quite new. The motherboard is outdated, but for now, I'm still waiting to see if anybody has some alternatives for driver cleaners. Instead of drivercleaner.net, is there a freeware application that is just as good?

4. perfectdark111

perfectdark111

evangelistc01:

I've had the same problem for quite some time with the same driver (geforce 6200 AGP) - computer crashes when trying to play any video but you tube somehow works, though I was just able to fix it. I saw in another TSG forum that using the nvidia 84.21 driver solves the problem. I installed it and it solved the problem, I tried several other old drivers before and they didn't work. I hope this helps.

5. perfectdark111

perfectdark111

6. mcrrulz

mcrrulz

hey i guys, i have problem. okay. i put the nvidia geforce 6200 OC PCI 256MB DDR graphics card in the motherboard and my computer recognized it. then my dad installed directX 9.0c for that card. but he didnt install the driver cuz it would always freeze. so now what should i do??? it keeps freezing everytime i put the CD in. the install thing would show up, but in black. with no words, nothing. it just freezes. do i need to tweek it? cuz now i have no clue at all. oh and by the way, my onboard graphics card is still in one of the slots. could that be the problem?

7. Nastrodamus

Nastrodamus

I know/had this exact problem....I don't know a way to solve it indefinitely but I have a work around because I had the exact same card with the exact same issue...Right click on your desktop somewhere go to properties, this will bring up your display properties, go to the settings tab then click on advanced in the lower right corner of the window, this will bring up another properties box, click on the troubleshooting tab, hardware acceleration will be set to full, move it 3 clicks over as see in the attachment. I had this on the computer I just retired and it was a good card for what I needed with the exception of this problem...the newer drivers or none of the other things helped but this allowed me to view videos. if you are a gamer then before you start up the game you will have to set the setting back to full. I hope this helps

Attached Files:

8. mcrrulz

mcrrulz

well i am a gamer. so what your saying is when i play games, i put it on full? or im kinda confused. haha

9. Nastrodamus

Nastrodamus

When you want to look at a video....put it to the settings in the attachment. Before you start your game....but it back to full

10. mcrrulz

mcrrulz

so that was my problem? what about my Geforce 6200? what dpo i do with that? if i put all the attachment stuff on high wouldn't it start freezing again when i play a game? im kinda confused man. sorry

11. Nastrodamus

Nastrodamus

For whatver reason....all I know is that it froze when I tried to view any video when it was on full....but when I turned it down I could view video....you wont be able to play games in that state because 3D Accelerations and Direct Draw is turned off and of course your games need that. So in order to play a game you have to turn it back up to full.....now you wont be able to play a game and view a video at the same time because of this. Like I said this is more of a band-aid than a fix I still dont know why the card does this..some people have been able to do a driver update and fix it but I could not and there were several others that could not fix it either. Also your problem may be a little different from the original poster's issue.

12. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

mcrrulz, could you please clarify? You state "my onboard graphics card is still in one of the slots". Onboard graphics are built into the motherboard, not on a card that's in a slot.
    If you have onboard video you may have to disable it in BIOS. If you have another video card installed (besides the 6200), you must remove the drivers, shut down the computer and physically remove the card. Then you can install the new card, cancel when Windows tries to install drivers, and run the driver installation exe. Hopefully that should get you going.

P.S. In the future please start your own thread as it gets confusing when you add to somebody else's. :)

13. Chaz Zeromus

Chaz Zeromus

Yeah, I got the same exact card and got the same problem. My computer locks up when playing games that have intense DirectX9 functionality. Playing videos is fine, it's just the format. WMV's always freeze on me. Well I went to best buy the other day and saw a newer version of the 6200 PCI(It's in a black box rather than the silver-green packaging) and try getting that one, I bet is has all the bugs worked out of the circuitry.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice