1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BFG Nvidia 9500 GT Graphics Card Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Orozco14, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Orozco14

Orozco14 Thread Starter

I really don't know where I can put this thread, so I put it here. Recently, my fan has been making a sporadic humming sound. It isn't screaming or making any loud noises, just a low and deafening hum that isn't constant but happens in irregular intervals. The funny thing is, when I turn my PC on its side, the humming from the fan stops, so it can't possibly be that the bearings are shot in the fan, can they? Like the title states I have a BFG Nvidia 9500 GT Graphics Card, and the fan has been acting pretty strange lately. I recently cleaned dust out of it but I don't recall ever touching the graphics card and fan. It looks kind of dusty but nothing too serious. I honestly don't know what's going on but after messing around with it, I have noticed it only makes the sound when it is standing straight up, and not on its side. Any insight would help dearly.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I would check that the fan & heatsink is securely attached to the card (I am looking at a picture showing two snap-in parts where it attaches to the board). Make sure the fan isn't touching the card below it.

3. Orozco14

Orozco14 Thread Starter

It seems like it isn't touching. I notice that it's gravity that makes it whur like that. Using that idea when gravity pulls the fan down, something is making it do that. I remember pulling out a big ball of dust out of the fan earlier when I was inspecting it. I plan on doing a more in depth observation of it by taking the card out but it's kind of early for that. I will keep you updated, but please consider what I have said.

4. Orozco14

Orozco14 Thread Starter

I also notice the fan is wobbling. It might be loose but like I said soon I will take my graphics card out to get a full analysis.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/931594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice