1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Big, big goof up!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RoseKate, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RoseKate

RoseKate Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm hoping you can help me out with this! I think I really screwed up a computer at my office. My boss is planning to give another employee an old Dell Laptop with Windows NT OS on it, that was previously used in the shop to help him while going through college. Because she plans to surprise him with it as kind of a donation, she asked me to remove all the company related files and to possibly disable the need to enter a password to logon onto the computer since it will now be for home use. Well, I deleted the company user account and clicked a checkmark in a box I thought was going to disable the password logon. Not so!!! When I restarted the computer, it still asked for the password, which I entered, but because the account is deleted or disabled, the computer does not recognize it. I get a message saying to reenter the password and that the password is case-sensitive. I do not believe the Admin user account or guest account was ever in use and no passwords have been setup for those accounts. This was just a single user laptop used by a technician in our shop.

This seems like a strange problem. I know the password but the user account is gone. I hope I haven't destroyed my boss' good deed, here, because the computer is now useless to anyone because the password no longer works.

Is there any way around this?
    Thanks

2. Augie65

Augie65

3. RoseKate

RoseKate Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your reply and the link. I checked it out and it does seem rather complicated for someone like me who is just an intermediate user who just uses the programs and does practically nothing with deeper operations of the OS. I have looked at downloading NT boot disks for start up and reinstalls of the OS, but having never done this before, I'm not sure that it would work.

Any further advice will be very much appreciated!
    Thanks!

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The NT CD is bootable, no "boot disks" are needed.

As your prime job was to remove company info, all that should have been required was to boot with the NT CD and reinstall a clean version, then apply all the service packs.

The recipient will not like NT though, it has no USB support. USB support will be almost critical I believe, for college use.

5. RoseKate

RoseKate Thread Starter

Thanks for the further advice! So if I can somehow download files for a NT bootable CD, and then reinstall, the computer will be usable again? I've seen some sites that you can download the files.

Thanks!

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Are you now saying that you don't actually have the Windows NT CD?

You cannot "download" a Windows NT CD (or any other WIndows operating system CD), ... and if you could it would be less than legal!

Where is the NT CD that should go with the laptop? As soon as the recipient gets to college and has to connect to the campus network, it's likely to ask for the CD at that point as well.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice