BIG BIG hardware problem... Please help... Very Urgent...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

go4saket

Hello Friends!

My computer working absolutely fine, all of a sudden starts making a nooking sound (Knik Knik Knik) and every thing helds up. This sound continues for some time, and till then nothings responds. After some time, say a minute or two, it stops and things starts working fine. Again after a few minute the same problem starts. Sometimes the problem is so bad that the computer gives a memory dump error and I am left with no other choice but to restart the computer. On restarting the computer, the problem persists and its so bad that it cant even load Windows. It is only when I take off the RAM and attach it again, my computer starts functioning normal, that too not for long.

I thought that the RAM must be faulty and so I replaced the RAM, but no help. After that I even changed the motherboard to make sure that the problem is not with it, but still no help. Now tell me, what should I do? What else can be the problem? Is it possible because of a HDD or SMPS problem, or is it happening because of some kind of software conflict? If it is because of some software conflict, the problem should be solved when I restart the computer, but that doesn't happen. I am simply fed up...

Presently I am working on Windows XP SP2. As for the hardware, I am having a Original Intel 865GBF motherboard, 512 MB DDR RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 GHz. HT Processor & a 80 GB Sygate HDD.

Please help...

Thank you...

Rukee

Banned
start backing up your important stuff on your computer, it sounds like the hard drive is failing, and when they disside to go, it`s all over for trying to get the info, pics, movies, and whatever off the drive then.
If you can get another hard drive, swap for the old one and load your OS and drivers onto the new drive, then add the failing drive back in and transfer from the old drive to the new one.

Rukee

Banned
when the computer freezes with the knocking sound and is all locked up making the noise, try to unplug the MOLEX from the hard drive, if the knocking sound stops, then replace the hard drive.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to backup NOW! That's the click of death you hear, and it's a sure sign your hard disk is dying.

go4saket

But if the problem is actually with the HDD, why is it that as soon as I take the RAM out of its slot and fit it again, things get on the right path...

valis

look, you can debate all you want about the cause, but while you are doing that, I highly HIGHLY recommend following both JohnWill's and Rukee's advice, and also googling 'click of death'.

go4saket

Thanks guys... As epr your instructions, I have already backed up my data...

Rukee

Banned
go4saket said:
But if the problem is actually with the HDD, why is it that as soon as I take the RAM out of its slot and fit it again, things get on the right path...
coincidence only, it would have booted back up if you had not reseated the memory. You`re backing up everything now, that`s great.

go4saket

No, I always try to boot without removing the RAM, but it always fails and as soon as I remove the RAM and put it back again, it boots smoothly...

Rukee

Banned
if you can unplug the MOLEX from the hard drive when the system is locked up and making that noise, and the noise stops, then the hard drive is going south. Just don`t try to plug the MOLEX back into the hard drive while the computer is running.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If the RAM brings on the problem, and you have no issue without the RAM installed, I take back my comment about the drive failing, of course you should still have current backups. :)

I'd install the RAM and boot from a floppy with one of these memory tests and see if that's where the problem lies.

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86

Rukee

Banned
I posted this once before, I know the guys who helped make that Memtest. They told me to not use the test from the .com site, that test is not being updated (even though it appears to have a newer version #) to work with the new chipsets, and the site is not run by the guys who made the test. They insist on only getting the test from their official .org site.
http://www.memtest.org/

go4saket

JohnWill said:
If the RAM brings on the problem, and you have no issue without the RAM installed, I take back my comment about the drive failing, of course you should still have current backups. :)

I'd install the RAM and boot from a floppy with one of these memory tests and see if that's where the problem lies.

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86
Hello John! Thanks for the links... I used both of them to check my memory and luckily found no problems with my memory. So now my motherboard and my memory is safe. I guess whats left now is only the HDD and the SMPS. Can such kind of problem arise because of a faulty SMPS. Moreover, is there a really good HDD diaganostic tool from which I can check if or not there is a problem with my HDD?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online