1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

big cooling prob

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Westwood, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Westwood

Westwood Thread Starter

i recently got given for x mas a new pc..

athlon xp 2000
    256mb ddr pc 266
    soltek via kt400+vt8235
    geforce 4 mx 440
    and some coolmaster cpu fan
    the power supply says it is amd recomended..

from what i heard the fsb should be at 133 to make the pc run at 1667mhz..

but if i run it at that my cpu his 60+ degrees and my MB goes into high 40s sometimes low 50s

is this normal? or do i really need more cooling?

currently i am running with fsb at 100 which is 1250mhz and it still seems wamer than it should be sometimes..(cpu hits high 50s when understrain)
    i fitted a case fan now.. but when i switched fsb back up it still seemed way too hot
    i fitted a little case fan

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the processor never reaches 60C when you run at 100% processor usage for an extended period, you're probably OK. That processor runs hot, they key is keeping it from running too hot. More case cooling will help the whole situation, 50C there means you need to move more air through the box.

3. plschwartz

plschwartz

Westwood.
    First welcome to TSG. We love having new members
    This a fairly common problem.
    Let me refer you to a recent discussion on the matter
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107506&highlight=thermal+paste
    Modern chips generate a lot of heat on a small area. This heat has to be taken away.
    The first place the heat is moved to is a heat sink. This is a block of aluminum (or better copper) with "fins" cut into it it give it a large surface area for the air to cool it. It is like a house radiator having a large surface area. The a fan blows across it to get cooler air moving across into the case. The case fan then blows it out.
    However the first step is largely unseen.
    This is the interface between the CPU chip and the heat sink. Both surfaces look smooth but microscopicly is very uneven. Since heat will best travel across a direct metal to metal contact , it will happen only where these little "ridges" meet; a small% of total surface area.
    To overcome this a small pad is put on heatsinks commercially installed.
    This is only so-so. A better way is to use a sort of metallic cream called thermal paste which gets into the tiny crevasses and greatly increases the surface area and thus heat transmission.
    From what others have said on this board this is the single best thing to reduce chip temp.
    I have an AMD 1700+ that I thermal pasted the cooler that came with the processor and it runs about 35 degrees.
    The thread refered to has plenty of other thoughts. Maybe read it and come back with questions.

4. Westwood

Westwood Thread Starter

thanks guys for the help.. i will look into getting some thermal paste... and another case fan

i am new to athlon and hardware in general..and new to this community.. i will prolly keep an eye on this noticeboard since you all seem so usefull... who knows i might even be giving advice myself one day ;)

5. Westwood

Westwood Thread Starter

does anyone know of any good progs for monitoring fan speeds and temps etc?

currently i am using hmonitor..but i am not sure i like it..
    i havnt really figured coolmon out yet..
    just thought i would ask you guys if you know of a nice utility..

thanks in advance!!

6. sketchman

sketchman

Bootdisk.com I just downloaded one myself
    good luck Sketchman

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice