big install mistake w/ partitioning

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stereotonic2

so i was trying to install, and i needed to partition because i thought it would save my files. i didnt pay enough attention. now i realize that even when i partition, my files are going to be deleted. when i tried to quit it says my system might be unuseable. how bad would it be to quit the install? any help would be appreciated asap.

If the partition tool rewrote the partition table, it doesn't matter if you quit now. Any files you had on any partitions that were rewritten will be forever gone. :eek: If you quit now, you'll be coming back in and installing something. The partition tools can usually keep data only if they are just resizing a partition. Obviously, you're not going to be able to make a partition smaller than the amount of disk space already being used.

What distribution of Linux( if that's what your installing)?
What are you using to partition with? Have you seen any messages about waiting while the partition table is being written? If you have not enabled the changes you made, then it should be ok.
If the new partitions have been written, then it's too late probably.
lynch

stereotonic2

thanks, but while i was trying to get help, the electricity went out, which i thought would be bad. but when the computer rebooted, i took out the cd, so it ran windows. windows scanned the hard drive, and all my files are intact. installing linux during a thunderstorm was a good idea afterall.

stereotonic2 said:
thanks, but while i was trying to get help, the electricity went out, which i thought would be bad. but when the computer rebooted, i took out the cd, so it ran windows. windows scanned the hard drive, and all my files are intact. installing linux during a thunderstorm was a good idea afterall.
Why don't you flash your BIOS instead? ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online