1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIG NEWS: Asus switches to ATI!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StillLearnin', Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin' Thread Starter

As of the first of Oct. Asus dropped Nvidia and is going with ATI. The various benches around the Internet sites show the new 9600XT to be (maybe) a little better than the 9600 Pro but the Pro is a better buy. The 9500 Pro is still a better card than either one but not as cheap as the 9600XT($199). Asus link:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/asus-ati.html

2. McTimson

McTimson

Holy crap, that 9800XT looks amazing. I think that will be my next card...

3. compilerxp

compilerxp

ASUS did *NOT* drop Nvidia... that would be stupid for ASUS to do so, and they have already stated that they were not going to do it.

What happened some time ago, Nvidia signed exclusive contracts with companies like ASUS for them to NOT carry ASI/3Dfx etc...

With Nvidia in its current weakened condition - ASUS, MSI and other companies have the leverage to change their business with Nvidia - especially when the contracts expired.

ATI doesn't make DEMANDS to carry their cards OR ELSE... and the companies said "We will carry ATI... you can either continue to SELL us Nvidia chips/ref cards or cut us off!"

Nvidia would be STUPID at this point to make such demands - they have been behind since the ATI9700 came out a year ago - and have yet to DOMINATE. Remember, ASUS buys lots of NForce2 chipsets for their top selling AMD boards. Think Nvidia is going to pull their NForce2 chips?

Its called COMPETITION... this is what WE NEED with AMD vs. Intel.

This is a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN situation.

1 - We win because cards get faster, cheaper and more choices.
    2 - ATI wins in GAINING market share
    3 - Nvidia wins in retaining most of their current clients.
    4 - The Manufactures WIN by having at least 2 sources of video products to sell... ATI will not be #1 forever... Nvidia will get it back sooner or later - but then ATI has the ability to come back as well.. :) its a pain in the butt to be a manufacture LOCKED into only ONE technology supplier. Hence, Intel strong arms the PC makers (Dell, Gateway, etc)... Dell is feeling the pressure to sell AMD64s... fine. Hence, I NEVER recommend a DELL computer to anyone.... when they can get an AMD from other companies.

Look at the 3DCard makers who shipped the GF-5800Ultras that NOBODY WANTED... they spent lots of money and time for a card that was SLOWER than a current competiting card.

This is HOW Video cards where in the past. In was COMMON to have a BRAND of video cards sell different flavors of cards.

Creative labs sold 3 different types (S3, 3Dfx and Nvidia)
    Diamond MultiMedia (now DEAD) was 3Dfx, S3, Nvidia, Cirrus logic
    STB (now DEAD - was taken down alongside 3Dfx - a friend worked there) also had 3Dfx, Nvidia and others. Really sucked, as they made the BEST TNT-1 video card - only to disconinue it when they were bought out.

Jaton - sells about 5 different chips, always have. The list go on.
    In the old days, they sold S3, Trident and Western Digital as standard or LOW-end chips, Nvidia as mid-range and 3Dfx as top of the line. Yep, it used to cost $50~75 for a 1mb 2D video card a few years back.

4. McTimson

McTimson

Haha...I like the WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN part. But somehow, I think I'm going to lose....

5. suesman

suesman

Lose at the tune of $575 retail for that 9800XT. That's a bit much iffin ya ask me.

6. StillLearnin'

compilerxp:

"ASUS did *NOT* drop Nvidia and they have already stated that they were not going to do it."

Back that statement up with proof from ASUS.

"What happened some time ago, Nvidia signed exclusive contracts with companies like ASUS for them to NOT carry ASI/3Dfx etc...

"ATI doesn't make DEMANDS to carry their cards OR ELSE... and the companies said "We will carry ATI... you can either continue to SELL us Nvidia chips/ref cards or cut us off!"

Show proof please.

As usual in your zeal to appear as the premier "tech" on TSG, you have once again taken news (that obviously you knew nothing of) and tried to "spin" it to your advantage so you could jump on the podium to ramble and make unsubstantiated statements to make yourself appear "an expert". Since we "are" authorized partners concerning ATI and ASUS, I would like to see the above statements you made qualified from the proof you have from ATI and Asus.

This was posted to alert the TSG members to the "new" availability of ASUS/ATI in the video card world ; NOT a thread to be expounded upon with no relevancy to the subject.

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

Er... back up your own statement that "ASUS DROPS NVIDIA". It was *you* who assumed that ASUS went exclusively ATI from a single review site.

Here is my info:

1 - Experince, *I* am in the industry.
    2 - Common sense: Theres money to be made off the FX line.
    3 - Common knowlege: Making "exclusive" deals is normal in business.

4 - Links:
    http://usa.asus.com/news/2003/20031001.htm

Statement says "addition to ASUS product line"

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030930/radeon_9800-06.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030930/radeon_9800-07.html

As I stated, it was common in the OLD days for a Brand name to sell 2-4 different types of video chips.

What, is this a race? I've been going here for 3 years... I don't own this site, I *DON'T* know everything. And *I've* been wrong on suggestions before... as do any other tech. hence the term - trouble shooting.

You got some jealousy issues? Just because *I* don't agree with you on power supplies? I didn't spin anything, I didn't yell "prove" out of thin air. I *knew* about ASUS/ATI for over a week, hence - it was easy to post a response, and it wasn't entirly directed to you.

Done.

What is the "alert", about a brand name product on a tech help section? Its not an earth-shattering matter. My response did not go off on a tangent. I explained that Nvidia did exclusive deals with companies and that they are losing grips on the market.

ATI is doing this because they have earned the respect of gamers and the card makers want to make money. I'm still guessing that the most $400+ video card buyers are getting ATI. Being LOCKED in with one supplier hurts their business... look at Hercules when Nvidia dropped them. Intel would not give as good as a deal to companies like Dell & gateway if they sold AMD chips.

McTimson - how will you lose? ;)

8. StillLearnin'

We were informed a few months back that ASUS would begin production of ATI chip-based video cards. This was because of previously sluggish sales of Nvidia chip-based cards. Not only were sales low because of people having configuration problems when installing the cards( especially (ironically) on their own (ASUS) mobos) but there were just overall low sales when upgrading to a newer card as most people changed brands. We use ( pretty much exclusively) ASUS mobos and have configured a considerable number with ASUS video cards. Once getting past the normal Nvidia driver problems, the cards (although some can be tricky) install pretty easily if you are an ardent fan of configuration (in both the BIOS and the Display settings). The cards are extremely dependable components once set up and left alone. However the "addition" of the ATI chip-based cards was to get the sales volume up to a competetive level without the install/configuration problems of the Nvidia cards. If successful, the sales of the ATI based cards would clear the way to higher volume video card sales and "if" successful enough would warrant dropping the production of the current Nvidia based cards. Of course an outfit like ASUS isn't going to just "drop" Nvidia before the sales of the ATI cards have taken off ( if they do as ASUS hopes) but they cannot continue with Nvidia that is losing them their video card share of the market (especially since Nvidia "locked" them into exclusiveness until now). Personally I would like to see "more" companies offering both brands but that doesn't usually work out to be a " financial" success in the CEOs eye.

"What the "alert" about a brand name of product on a tech help section? Its not an earth-shattering matter."

I suppose to someone who only wants to recommend the Nvidia 4200 to everyone as the card to have (even though the 4600 was/still is a much better card), the advent of the industry standard mobo maker (ASUS) producing ATI based cards wouldn't be impressive enough to mention until someone posted a thread asking about it.

9. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

compilerxp, i do feel that you are a bit one sided on most any subject, and a bit of a snob about many things too. I think still learnin was just posting to let anyone who cared to know about a bit of info that seemed interesting enough.
    it's all a peak of the future for me, since i won't get my hands on any of the mentioned cards until the $575 price tag loses a digit or two! even so, i like to learn about these things, and hear others opinions. i doubt it was brought about so that it could become a majorly debated issue in this forum.

10. suesman

suesman

Well put. I've always thought these boards were for helping people with thier computer woes, not for the furtherment of our personalities.

My take ( opinion ) on this subject is this: (n) I've been a long time fan of Asus video cards & if they are to stop making Nvidia cards? I guess I'll be looking for another manufacturer. :( I won't stop recomending them to others, but I have no intentions of bailing on Nvidia just yet. :p

11. compilerxp

compilerxp

What is one sided? "One sided" is making a statement that is not true or incomplete.

True : ASUS is making ATI cards now.
    False : Because of Above, didn't *MEAN* it would discontinue its Nvidia line.

Yes, I admit I'm a snob about quality. I fail to see the point of spending $20 for junk when perhaps $30 would mean a much better product. So please excude me to try to educate people the importance of AIR-FLOW... I'm sorry that typical low-cost junk tends to have bad airflow. I'm sorry that cheap motherboards have a higher failure rate or don't "fit" correctly in cases. I'm sorry that a $150 video card at CompUSA is not as good as an older $75 model from the internet.

$600 is way too much for a gaming card :) Its for the boosting rights as far as I'm concerned. $200 is still the sweet spot for performance<>Price. I paid $145 for my Ti4200 a year ago, a friend bought a more advanced version for $75, how cool is that?! (Yes I'm slight jealous his purchase) Both cards play todays games pretty good still :)

12. hewee

hewee

compilerxp,

Keep posting the way you always have as I always read and like your post and the info you give. :)

13. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

by one sided i mean in a two sided issue, you are a bit biased without giving the other side a fair chance.

14. pronute

pronute

compilerxp

Your totally correct about Asus not wanting to cut their own throat, this happens all the time and always will, remember when the first Athlons came out, and Intel threatened any motherboard maker that supported AMD chipsets would lose Intel’s support, remember the first Gigabyte Athlon board X7E no where on the box, or motherboard, could you find Gigabyte. As sales of Athlon based systems soared, then the brand names came out .:D

15. compilerxp

compilerxp

Kerri Ann: I'm still not understand your angle. Giving the other side a fair chance? Person A posted, Person B (me) responded, Person A replied "prove it", Person B "did". My reply was not a flame. The guts of that reply was:

"ASUS did *NOT* drop Nvidia... that would be stupid for ASUS to do so, and they have already stated that they were not going to do it."

It was not an insult to the poster or ASUS or ATI or anyone else.

Poster is big time ATI, I consider myself more FAIR than that. I buy, sell & recommend both. If someone wants to buy something else, I'll give a recommendation... if they follow it fine, if not fine - I don't lose sleep over it. (And yes, I'm picky heheh)

Pronute : Well, that's kind of whats been happening for a while :) Herculese had cut their throats when they wanted to add the KYRO1/2 graphic chips to their product line... Nvidia cut them off. My GF2mx was made by them, which was voted the best GF2mx on the market at that time.

Card companies are no longer afraid of losing Nvidia. Can you imagine if Nvidia said "buy us our else!" today, to someone like ASUS and MSI? They'd say "See ya... come back when you're ready to play nice". Remember when 3Dfx pulled out of the Chip suppling market? STB died because they only made cards with 3Dfx... but all the other companies, Creative Labs and others became hard core Nvidia and flamed 3Dfx big time. Because ATI has been DOWN for so long, Nvidia had become laxed in their development. We should see some serious 3D Graphic Chip wars for 2004... heheheh

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice