1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIG PROBLEM Could be OS OR Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by laplaza, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laplaza

laplaza Thread Starter

My son has a Sony Vaio laptop that he is continually downloading music and video onto. He has up to date McAfee running on it, but apparently some critter got through. He says he scanned when he noticed problems and the scan did turn up something that was unremovable by McAfee. He did NOT note the name of the virus. By the time he reported the problem to me the computer will not boot at all. I get "Operating System not found" on a black screen with nothing else. When I attempt to boot with the XP OS disc in it, I get the blue install/repair screen, but upon trying each of those options I once again get a black screen telling me that no hard drive is detected. How big of trouble am I in?

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Sony Vaio? Have you contacted Sony, they're normally very responsive? Sounds like you are going to need to flash the BIOS or recover the HD BIOS. It's unlikely to be a hardware failure - just a corruption. I'm not sure who's HD's Sony use - if it's IBM's, I wish you luck!

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

usualsuspect, please. Flash the bios? That is a pretty drastic post....we should explore other avenues before we randomly decide to flash the bios :eek:

laplaza, welcome to TSG.

Can you access the bios setup to see if the hard drive appears there?

4. laplaza

laplaza Thread Starter

Already tried resetting BIOS. No luck.

5. ~Candy~

What is your idea of 'resetting the bios' ?

Does the hard drive appear there?

6. laplaza

laplaza Thread Starter

Per Sony website:IQ Knowledge Base Article C94679

How to reset the BIOS to its default values.

SOLUTION:
    Follow this procedure to reset the BIOS to its default values.

Restart the computer.
    At the SONY screen, press the F2 key.
    In the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility window, press the RIGHT ARROW key until the Exit menu is selected.
    On the Exit menu, press the DOWN ARROW key until Get Default Values is selected.
    Press the ENTER key.
    In the Setup Confirmation dialog box, press the ENTER key.
    In the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility window, on the Exit menu, press the UP ARROW key until Exit (Save Changes) is selected.
    Press the ENTER key.
    In the Setup Confirmation dialog box, press the ENTER key.

7. ~Candy~

Ok, that's fine. Now go back and see if the hard drive is being acknowledged there.

And that it is the first boot device for now.

8. laplaza

laplaza Thread Starter

Hard drive is first boot. I still get same messages... first No Operating System found and upon once again trying to start up with the XP Pro disc it tells me that Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in yoru computer. AAGGH! (Sorry about the multiple posts... won't happen again.)

9. ~Candy~

Ok, in another section there should be an area that identifies the cdrom drive, the hard drive etc.

Also be sure the the IDE channels are set to enabled. I don't think resetting the bios should have disabled them, but double check.

Are you sure there isn't more history to this problem than what you are being told?

10. laplaza

laplaza Thread Starter

Other history such as what? Physical damage? Doesn't show any. Possible causes? Checking IDE channels and restarting results are same.

11. laplaza

laplaza Thread Starter

Primary IDE adapter says "none"

12. ~Candy~

Well, not sure how old the son is, but sometimes things get, shall we say, muddled in the translation of what happened.

Is it under warranty per chance?

13. ~Candy~

Will it change to AUTO? Or something else like ENABLED?

14. laplaza

laplaza Thread Starter

Kid is seventeen.. he'll be here in a few minutes and I'll grill him. It will change to Auto, but when I restart it defaults to none.

15. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Sorry AcaCandy, yes it was drastic but my main point was that laplaza really should be contact with Vaio. It still sounds like a screwed HD or HD firmware. Or the machine may have been subject to 'bounce' technology i.e dropped. It's probably worth removing the panel and checking the HD is properly seated.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice