1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Big problem involving Windows XP and Unbuntu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by linuxownz, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxownz

linuxownz Thread Starter

This is a pretty big problem and I need to resolve it as soon as possible.
    To start I downloaded Unbuntu 7.10 with my harddrive already on my main drive.
    My Main drive with XP has about 250GB and im using about 51% of that.
    Last night I took my Unbuntu 7.10 I already burned onto a disk and put it in the DVD drive. It wasen't working and sounded like it wanted to format my drive to install, I did not want that so I quit. I knew I wanted to do a duel boot so I worked at partitioning my drive finally got a clean 10GB partition and didnt give it a letter just kept the new space I took from my main drive as unlocated space.
    I go back to Dual Boot Unbunu put on the disk got to the drive part and saw my clean cut partition so imade 550MB of it as swap and the rest and the storage for my Linux install. It went find everything Installed great.
    I restart my computer a couple minutes later and tried to start XP and it gives me this "A disk drive error has ocourred press "ctrl" "alt" "del" to restart.
    Seeing that scarred me so I restart and choose Unbuntu this time because during the installation I choose to bring 3 XP accounts to linux so I looked and most of the files I asked to bring over was nowhere to be found. So I re-tried to get into XP same error message.
    Forward to this morning and I put in my knoppix live CD POST finds it and I look around and very luckily all my files on the Main drive are perfectly unharmed.
    I tried little things and nothing works. I'v tried to put in a Windows XP installation disk and got the same error message as when I try to run the already installed XP on my computer. I found the error message on the windows site and got a Hot Fix on it that they warned me had'nt been tested much but doesnt matter cause didn't do anything exept when I put in my XP installation disk it atualy reads that. No same luck with the XP already installed.

Heres things to consider before you reply.
    1. I havent backed up in years I'm a cheap person who wont buy a external drive. I also want to backup about 100GB of data so a CD wont work.
    2.Microsoft wont help me for free unless I give them a PID(Prouduct ID) and I can't because I dont have it written down anywhere and the only way I can get on is with this Knoppix live CD.
    3. Number two ties into three please dont give me any directions that I will need XP for (Like how I could find my PID in control panel if XP was working.)
    4. Unbuntu is dead unused space so please keep in mind that the only operation system working is a live Knoppix 4.0 CD.
    5. My Windows XP I had on fine before this happened was XP media edition SP2.

Thank you in advance!!!
    Sorry for my horrible spelling in the post.

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

It would appear the ubuntu install messed up the master boot record or your partitioning corrupted the partition table

I would suggest you boot your xp cd and go into recovery concole.
    first run chkdsk /r then
    run the utilities fixmbr and fixboot

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice