Big Problem need some experts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

eenochs

Having a issue on a computer and i think its virus related but haven't found any info on it. when I go to printers you know usually you have the windows imaging printer but all I have is add printer. If I try to add printer it doesn't do anything.

Using a dell optiplex machine with windows xp sp2 on a network.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Go to Start, run and type: services.msc.

Scroll down to "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and verify it shows "Started" and Startup type is "Automatic" If not, double click the entry and set the type to automatic and start the service.

Next scroll to "Print Spooler" and verify it shows "Started" and Startup type is "Automatic" If not, double click the entry and set the type to automatic and start the service.

Then see if you can add a printer. Also a question, has this computer ever had a Lexmark printer connected to it?

Check Administrative Tools > Services and see if Print Spooler is running. If not try to start it.

Edit: I've got to learn to type faster.

eenochs

Yes both the RPC and Printer Spooler are started.

No never had a lexmark connected.

What happens if you actually add a printer?

Edit: I should read the whole post.... grrrrr

valis

is this a stand-alone machine, or is it on a domain?

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Did you check to see if there is a Group Policy setting for "Prevent additiion of printers"? Look in Group Policy Editor under User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Printers.

valis

only time I've ever seen that screen blanked out was with permission priveliges on a domain, which led me to ask if it was on a domain.

Now, is it a work pc or a home pc?

eenochs

This is a work pc on our domain. Just to be clear when I go to start > settings > printers the only option is add printer. If I double click on it nothing happens. Logged in as admin and also tried user who has admin rights and same thing happens. Nothing in event viewer that describe printing. I also checked group policy and the "Prevent addition of printers" is not configured.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Is PRINTUI.DLL in your C:\Windows\System32 folder? And is it the correct version?

valis

personally, I'd contact your IT department. If they don't want that pc to have printers for whatever reason, it's their choice. I don't think I can offer any more assistance, as I work in an IT department, and if I found that my users were trying to bypass rules set in place, there would be problems. :)

thanks for understanding.

eenochs

figured it out. User didn't mention that he received a error starting up that dealt with printers. It was a DLL issue. Copied the DLL over and it works.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online