1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

big problem plz help

Discussion in 'Games' started by david_m_15, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. david_m_15

david_m_15 Thread Starter

ok......
    ok......
    ok......

ill explain the problem first off. i load up wow (could be any game although havent tested). as soon as the menu comes up (the computer is using 3d) it will freeze for about 10 seconds and the sound will start looping like a broken record. after 10 seconds, itll start working again. then maybe 5 seconds later, itll freeze again, for 10 seconds, basically i cant do anything and the game is constantly freezing. i had this problem recently, but not as bad. i formatted cos my hard drive was cluttered anyway, and that temporarily fixed the problem. but about 2 weeks later (now), i get this problem. LIKE WHAT THE **** sum1 plz help :(

2. Akmorph

Akmorph

Sounds like you might have a driver issue with your video card. You mentioned you reformatted the pc, did you get the most up-to-date graphics drivers ? and did you look to see if there were specific drivers that have a better compatibility rate with your game ?

Can you give us some information about your pc ?

CPU Speed / Type
    Ram
    Video Card

What Games are you trying to play ?

might give us some insight as to whats going on.

3. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Also interject... Did your antivirus update before it started?
    Or, have you tried turning off any active scanning programs?

4. jimbel

jimbel

Try this

Audio applications or games stopped responding

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summary:
    Update system BIOS
    Update Sound Blaster drivers
    Clean boot Windows
    Uninstall and reinstall the newly installed application
    Restore Windows, and repair reinstall Windows if necessary

Some PC's may freeze or stop responding when you try to launch an audio application such as a game, or while you are in the middle running an application. In some instances, the lock-up may be accompanied by a looping sound.

This difficulty has been found to occur in PC's that are either over-clocked, PC's that overheat easily, PC's that have an inadequate power supply, or PC that have too many applications running at the same time.

Download and install the latest BIOS as well as chipset drivers from your motherboard vendor.
    Download and install the latest Sound Blaster drivers here.
    Download and install the latest DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx
    Close all background applications, including programs or services installed by your Sound Blaster card.
    Click Start, Run, type MSCONFIG and press Enter.
    Click the General tab and click the box next to Selective Startup.
    Clear the boxes next to Process System.ini File, Process Win.ini File, and Load Startup Items check boxes.

System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG) Click to enlarge
    Click the Services tab, select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

Disable services Click to enlarge
    Click Apply, and then click OK.
    Restart the computer when prompted.
    Make sure that the power supply and cooling system are adequate for your PC.

5. david_m_15

thing is, ive had this setup for a long time and not had problems. its only started happening since like end of november and had to take it to the shop and i just told them to fix it.. all they told me to do was defrag (they also fixed another problem where my comp couldnt even start up). but about the freezing issue, said to defrag. i was too lazy to do that and decided i needed a format anyway. i have been using the drivers from the video card cd for ages and not had problems. games i am talking about are Medal Of Honor and World Of Warcraft (i mentioined as "wow" in my post for short). im pretty sure ive got the latest drivers for my video card lying around in my hard drive so ill dig up and install those. just specs on my pc:

amd 2500+ cpu
    AGP albatron 6600GT
    via a7v600-x mobo (similar to my old asus a7n8x-x that broke)
    1 gig of ram (cant remember what type but its definately ok for my system)

so as i said ill try the things suggested and see how it goes

6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Yeh, defrag often.. after every larger install/removal if you can.. it will help allot.

Just so you know, I'm seeing many people with WoW lag issues.. Even I'm getting some higher than normal latency ingame.. I think with the expansions, there are way more people playing again. Causing some server slowdowns..

And.. Usually updated drivers are the best option.. Though the old ones may work, the new ones may fix a bug discovered in the older ones. However, new drivers can have bugs too. (n)

7. david_m_15

u missed the point entirely, im not talking about internet lag (although on wow i have like 300-500 ping)

just now im using winamp and its constantly freezing...i dont think its a driver issue because normal ****ing operations shouldnt make my comp freeze like this! im so pissed off lol

well just try see if u guys can think of anything because on a newly formatted computer this shouldnt be happening. perhaps its the ram or something? the thing is i took the computer in a while ago and they removed only 1 piece of ram that they said was faulty so... i dunno. i sent them an email basically telling them they need to get this fixed since they didnt really fix it.. so i think ill leave it in their hands. unless u guys can think of something else for me to try.

8. jimbel

jimbel

Sorry, your post says that you have a looping sound and it is freezing. I gave you a suggestion. If you look at line 6 and 7 after the word summary, you will see that it says: Some PC's may freeze or stop responding when you try to launch an audio application such as a game, or while you are in the middle running an application. In some instances, the lock-up may be accompanied by a looping sound.
    I thought that was the problem your having. Just to give you an idea of how crazy it sounds, I used to have a computer w/ Asus moboard, 1 gig ram, 2.8Mhz cpu, and an ATI 9800 Pro video card. I could run any game out there no problem. I purchased Rainbow Six Vegas and I could not play it because of the graphics card not having shader 3.0. I went out and bought a new ASROCK Moboard, 2.6 dual cpu, and an ATI x1900 graphics card, Know what? I kept crashing to desktop, All kinds of noise, and yes, the looping sounds. So as you can see I have been there. The point I am trying to make is that if you don't try my suggestion then you wont know if it will work or not. It's up to you. If it did work, then you could go back in there and start turning things on again one at a time. then try your system until it dies again. Then you will know where the problem is.
    Luck

9. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Ah..System problems.. OK, it was in games so I though games only. Sorry about that. :)
    Debuging is very time consuming.

I can't encourage the risc of the BIOS and chipset updates, but do follow the rest of jims advice. PC's are so different it may take time to find it. Could be simple, like a setting, or hard, like bad hardware.

My bad hardware example is a "good" used CPU... Turns out it would crash every time I would turn on my second level cache.. Yep, replaced everything, and it was the CPU that was bad. :(

Wonder, since this is now a system problem... Would there be more help in say, hardware? Or Windows forum?.. Something to consider.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice