1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Big Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by creekrat, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. creekrat

creekrat Thread Starter

I need some help please. I downloaded the free Registry Mechanic and then it ran a scan and when I clicked on the Fix problems, it would only fix so many unless I paid for the full version. So I let it fix what it would fix and then I clicked on the part where it says something like Compress Registry. It said it would have to restart and when it was doing the progress of the compressing, it just seemed to have froze up. So I shut it down and restarted and it came right back to that same screen where it was froze up. So then I retarted in Safe Mode and removed the program in the add/remove and restarted the computer. Sure enough it still came back to the same screen as before. So now what do I do? Is there a way to do a system restore before I did this? Please help with whatever you can think of.

2. 1069

Hi,

If you are using ME do this in Safe Mode:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
    Select a date just prior to your problem.
    Your data, photos etc should be OK.

If you are using 98 try this:

Switch on and constantly tap f8.
    At the Startup Options select Safe Mode Command Prompt Only
    At the prompt type in scanreg /restore ( there is a space after scanreg )
    Select a date just prior to your problem - not the oldest.

3. creekrat

creekrat Thread Starter

Ok I did do the system restore and it still comes back to the same screen.

4. creekrat

creekrat Thread Starter

Has anyone got any ideas as to what to do? I am on a back up computer now but the other one is where I use my printer and camera. The system restore didn't seem to work so now what should I do next, or does it just need to be reformatted? Thank you

5. bonk

bonk Banned

You could try a repair install

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi you may well have to reinstall your operating system.
    Letting any Reg cleaner compress the registry is always a risky move.
    Always best to undo any changes a registry program makes before removing said program.
    Check in safe mode if there are any referencies to Registry Mechanic..there may be [unlikely though] a back up file remaining.

7. creekrat

creekrat Thread Starter

Ok thank you, I will shut this one down and try it.

8. creekrat

creekrat Thread Starter

Ok I did a find folders to see if I had any Registry Mechanic in it and there wasnt. Then I went to my computer and went to system and the one with a check mark in it and there were several things that it said needed to be restored but in safe mode I couldnt use my CD Rom. This is a windows 98SE. So it sounds like I really messed it up , huh. thanks for any help that any one can do

9. blues_harp28

Hi try a scanreg /fix at command prompt.
    What were the thing needing to be restored in device manager in system properties?

10. creekrat

creekrat Thread Starter

There were so many things that needed to be restored but since I couldn't use my CD Rom then I couldn't do anything about it. But I thought I would let you all know that a friend of mine is going to work on it tomorrow. So thanks for all the help.

11. blues_harp28

Hi let us know if you finally solve the problem..and how it was solved. ;)

12. cghost

cghost

13. cghost

cghost

If you need cabinet files from the win98 cd, you can copy the win98 folder from your install cd to the harddrive to make it more accessible to you.

14. cghost

cghost

I just installed it to see where it puts files
    C:\programfiles\registrymechanic

It looks like backups are in that folder. If that folder is gone, then any backups it made before changing are probably gone too.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice