1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

big problems with Aptiva

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by crashcassady, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crashcassady

crashcassady Thread Starter

Hi I ran step 5 in this list of Frank's windows 95/98 tips on my aptiva E series 545:

Get rid of temporary and other trash files. Reboot your computer first to make sure that no temporary files are in use. Click Start - Find - Files And Folders, select the hard drive to look in, and place a checkmark in "Include Subfolders". Type in the first one from the below list, then click Find Now. When the list of files appear, click on and highlight any one of them, then click Edit - Select All - File - Delete. Type in the next one from the below list, then repeat the steps.

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.* (If this folder is present)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

*.CHK

*.OLD

*.BAK

*.---

~*.*

_*.*

*.000, *.001, *.002, *.003, etc.

MSCREATE.DIR

now i have a big problem. It uses windows 98. It is only in MsDOS mode now, after i restarted it. (safe mode)When I start the computer i get DOS start up otions. Then a sign that says "NAV Auto protect- unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files." Then I hit enter, and got the windows 98 logo but it stays frozen on it. so, I have to manually restart it. Then I got a message that said "desktop- the reason you are having trouble starting your computer may be in your hardware or network settings. Go to the control panel and check settings." I dont know what normal settings are. I am stumped. Please send in the troops. I cant even get online on that computer because aol says it cant find the modem. Im doomed. Thanks.

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

I think Frank needs to remove the "*.000, *.001, *.002, *.003, etc." from his list as Norton uses some of these. You should un-install and re-install Norton to fix this problem "if" you can't recover them from the recycling bin.

It sounds as though your other problems are caused by a resource conflict. If you can start your computer in SAFE MODE go to RIGHT click MY COMPUTER > PROPERTIES and click on DEVICE MANAGER. Then look for MODEM in the list and click on the + next to it. Right click your modem and click REMOVE. If there is any other devices that have a "yellow exclamation mark" on them, right click and remove them also. Then restart your computer and it should find and re-install them.

If you haven't emptied your recycling bin, try restoring everything from there then be careful what you delete next time.

Let us know if that works for you.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

In Safe Mode; (tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted). In the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel highlight Norton Anti-virus (NAV) and click the Add/Remove button; follow the on-screen instructions and restart your computer if not prompted by Windows to restart.

You'll have to then reinstall NAV. You're are lucky the machine will boot to Safe Mode.

In the future all you need do is to safely remove those files by clearing your browser's Cache only. Not all that 'find and delete' procedure. With Internet Explorer open click the Tools menu; Internet Options; click the Delete Files and Delete Cookies buttons, each in turn; close then restart Internet Explorer.

4. crashcassady

I didnt find any yellow exclamaiton points in the device manager. I did uninstall NAV, but now, how do I re-install it? Also, I had already emptied the recycling bin so I couldnt just get the stuff out of there again, of course. So Im back to what I originally had- safe mode. Thanks for your time.

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Okay. If you haven't got a Norton Anti-virus (NAV) install CD to reinstall NAV then just go to http://free-av.com and download and install and then update AntiVir by right-clicking its System Tray icon and pointing to Internet Update, after you get on-line. I use it and it's exccellent if kept updated weekly. It doesn't scan incoming/outgoing e-mail so don't open attachments. If you use Outlook Express, configure OE to not open attachments if you feel it best. I do.

If you need help using it just PM me by clicking my name in this forum somewhere.

6. crashcassady

Thanks for the advice. But I cant get online on the aptiva- cant do ANYthing on it- just stare at the safe mode desktop- could I download the NAV stuff onto a CD on this computer then bring it to the aptiva? I apologize for my limitless ignorance in these matters! All the people that have helped me here have been so patient.

7. Styxx

Styxx Banned

hell, you can burn a copy of AVG or AntiVir either one and take to your computer on CD, however the CD-ROM won't work in Safe Mode. It'd have to be a spanned floppy set using free Winzip

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

unfortunately you may have to back up your sensitive data Backup all your Sensitive Data (Internet Explorer Favorites; Netscape Bookmarks, Address Book and Netscape Mail Folders; Outlook Express Address Books and Folders (compress any Netscape Mail or Outlook Express folders first) letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, music, etc.) to removable media for restoring later, then format and re-install Windows and the drivers for your sound, video and modem.

In fact back it all up now, immediately if not sooner.

Have you got the Restore CD for this Aptiva? What disk(s) came with the unit. Don't take any re-install action until we go back and forth until we're confident you know what to do, OK?

9. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Frank's tutorial may have hosed yo good. Lets see if we can fix this. Did you restore the Recyle Bin items like walkeriam sugested?

10. crashcassady

Hi!
    I got online on the aptiva. I am now downloading the AVI. I am still in safe mode but something in this machine changed overnight because yesterday I couldnt get past the Windows 98 logo. So, after I install AVI, I should do what?

11. crashcassady

oh yea- I already emptied the recycle bin so theres no hope in recovering this stuff from there. Who is this Frank, anyway?!

12. crashcassady

I am now looking at a normal screen by some stroke of luck! I went through msconfig, then to the system.ini tab- all the boxes were empty so I ckecked them all, restarted and now its back to normal. What I did technically I have no idea but it worked.

13. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Frank is just another anonymous poster. I'm so glad you figured out how to resolve this! Mostly the advise you get on this forum is straight forward stuff and safe to try. You can complain to this poster by clicking on his name in the other forum and send him/her a e-mail.

So sorry you had troubles with this. Please post back here and get several responses (second opinions) before you take any action in the future.

So the 'fixes' you tried before off this Flavalee's tutorial essentially caused the stuff in the System.ini in the System Configurationn Utility to become unchecked. Amazingly good move that you thought to look in there - that's troubleshooting at its finest. Good Catch. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice