1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIG TIME Buffering Problem!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by panamahat, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi:
    Have checked all the other posts and don't see this exact problem. When I go to YouTube or any other site that has streaming video, the buffering is so intrusive that I must give up. Tonight, it was 2-3 seconds (!!) on YouTube. Usually, on CNN or Fox it's 10-20 seconds. VERY frustrating.
    My OS is Xp Sp2, Toshiba Satellite 5005-S504. Replaced both HD and CD/DVD within the last 18 mos but had these same problems before. Don't run movies because they are impossible!!! But, being in Panama and largely away from US news sources except for the internet, I do look at a lot of news sites and, increasingly, stories refer me to video. I also listen to online radio and sometimes have buffering issues there.
    Would GREATLY appreciate any help with this problem.
    Many thanks,
    Panama Hat

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like you're having Internet throughput issues. How about visiting www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and running a speed test from the closest site to your location and posting the results here.

3. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll do it and post back.
    PH

4. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi again, it's 202 kbps download and 150 kbps upload from Atlanta and 199 download and 237 upload from Dallas. However, I'm not sure how reliable those numbers are because I'm in Panama, which is pretty far away from both.
    However, if they tell you something about the problems I'm having, I'd appreciate the information.
    Incidentally, I'm contracted for 256 K on a satellite system
    Thanks!
    PH

5. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Don't play the video until it is downloaded. Hit "pause", wait until progress bar gets to or near end then hit "play."
    I could be mistaken (been a while since I have watched any), but I believe most streaming video requires 300Kb/s if it does not give an option for selecting speed.

6. Spop

Spop

I have the same problem, but I hate hitting the pause button.

7. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Get broadband then.

8. lisakmusco

lisakmusco

I have the similar issues too. If I try to watch even a 30-second video clip (for example on youtube or even a movie trailer like Harry Potter, or even a sports/news clip) it buffers, plays, buffers, plays etc multiple times in the span of that 30 seconds. I have been wondering if it's my computer or my level of DSL connection (BellSouth DSL Lite).
    What can I do to improve this performance?

9. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Actually, RootbeaR's solution has been the best so far. I open the video in one window and let it take all the time it neds while I work in another window. Then, when I go back and look at it, it's usually fine. Thanks RootbeaR.
    PH

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Glad it is working for you. Enjoy.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have two strikes, one being the speed of the connections, the other being the latency of replies due to the satellite link. I think the solution of buffering it all before playing is probably the best way.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!