Big Time CD & DVD Drive Trouble

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vulpine1

I have solved this problem, skip to the bottom to see how...

What was wrong:

As of now, my two optical drives (1st: Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T, 2nd: Sony CD-RW CRX216E 48x burner) do not work correctly. When I put a CD in my DVD drive and try to access it, it says: "D:\ Is Not Accessable. Incorrect Function." and when I put a disc in the CD-RW, it treats it as a blank CD even though it's not. I don't remember the last time I tried accessing a CD through My Computer, but I did burn a CD with iTunes yesterday.

A little information about my computer:
Dell Dimension 4600 (motherboard revision A02, BIOS A12)
Windows XP Home SP2
Intel P4 2.66 Ghz processor
40 GB HD (C)
Upgrades:​
120 GB Seagate HD (partitioned into 40 GB F:Other Files, 40 GB M:Media, 5 GB U:Users, roughly 27 GB G:Backups)
512 MB PC3200 (400 Mhz) Dual Channel DDR (2x 256 chips)
Chaintech GeForce FX 5200 128 MB graphics card

I've tried:

» Updating the firmware. (I could only find one for the DVD drive, didn't help)

» Using Device Manager to uninstall and re-install both drives without restarting

» Using Device Manager to uninstall both drives. Restarted and re-installed

» Booted up in safe mode and tried accessing a CD (worked for one CD once)

» Scanned for viruses and spyware with Norton Internet Security 2004 (my subscription ended so it's not up to date) and Webroot SpySweeper (newest version with latest definitions)

I don't know what else to do, besides removing the drives. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

How I fixed it:
After many hours of frustration, and working on other stuff, I realized that a program I had, Undisker (it can create drive images from HDs and CDs and vice versa) was causing the problem. I remembered that during the installation, or on the site, it mentioned that Windows XP was not fully supported! I quickly uninstalled the not-as-useful-as-I-hoped program and rebooted to find that my CD and DVD drives were once again fully functional.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online