1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Big time Win7 installation problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by syoung08, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syoung08

syoung08 Thread Starter

I have been running Win7 64bit since release candidate. Today I went about wiping my drive clean and getting a fresh install of Win7 in my comp. I went down to eat dinner while it installed. When I came back up stairs, apparently during one of the auto-restarts during the installation process my computer got stuck during the booting process on the ASUS logo startup screen thingy.

I could not get into the BIOS, the computer would crash before I could pull it up. I was able to see it checking the hardware in place and noticed it was crashing when it was going through the drives, so I decided to unplug my primary SATA drive and use my IDE hdd only. This allowed the computer to start up and running, however there was no OS so I had to break out my Vista disc since the Win7 I have is an upgrade. I install Vista successfully and then shut down and plug my SATA drive back in and put it in the SATA3 port. I start the computer up again and it crashes again immediately like it did before I got Vista installed. So then after unplugging my SATA again I go to install Win7. Since my Win7 is 64bit and my Vista is 32bit I have to wipe my Vista partition clean and install Win7 that way.

However...when I went to do a custom Win7 installation in order to delete and create a new clean partition to install Win7 on, it's not displaying any drives?! I get the message 'No drives can be found'.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get my SATA working again without crashing? Is there something in the BIOS that might have gotten screwed up and switched to something I don't want?

And as far as Win7, how can I get any of my drives to appear in the drive selection screen so I can install Win7?!?!?

I've never been so confused in my life with any computer as to what in the hell is going on...

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Jon

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice