1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Big transfer locks up computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lemur21, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemur21

Lemur21 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I recently set up two new Windows 7 computers (laptop and desktop) -- and the following problem has emerged. Previously, I had a Windows 7 laptop and a Windows XP desktop, but I'm still using the same router, so I assume that's not the issue.

Here's the problem:

I use my desktop as a server to my laptop. I will transfer data from my laptop (maybe on a USB or a folder) to my desktop over the network (the laptop connects to the router via WiFi, the desktop is connected via ethernet cable).

While transferring a large file (say, upwards of 1GB), if I go to open a folder on that desktop computer, it takes an agonizingly long time. The entire operation of the desktop computer is nearly halted. I can still work on the laptop, while the transfer is occurring, but the desktop is crippled.

Any ideas as to what's causing this? As I said, I did swap out the two computers, but the router is the same -- and, before, when I did this (which is about once a week), I did not have this issue. The transfer worked in the background and didn't cause the desktop computer to grind to a halt.

Thanks!

Chris

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice